Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a Particular website wont load in either IE or Firefox query

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eddywinch82

eddywinch82

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hi there,

I have a problem with the internet I cant load the website www.expansions.com I have tried a registry clean and have tried various free dns servers including google and opendns amongst others and it still wont load. Recently I had another website which wouldnt load ,so I switched to OpenDNS and it would load up after that, However this time switching DNS servers hasnt fixed the problem we are with talktalk broadband. Any info or help anyone could give me would be much appreciated

Best Regards

Eddie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Demystifying the Windows Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

As I've said many times, registry cleaners, tune-up programs, and so-called "optimizers" are the current snake-oil of the internet. There are countless free programs like this and apparently some paid ones, as well.

Do not be deceived. They promise performance you can only dream about....but only deliver a computer that is worse off than it was to begin with.

What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one (Firefox, Chrome, etc..)? Also, try clearing the browser cache (aka "temporary internet files"). I can access that website using Firefox (so we know the site isn't down).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

Can you get to it by entering the following in your browser? http://208.106.178.198/

EDIT: Check and see if the IP which is above or the URL isn't in your hosts file.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 eddywinch82

eddywinch82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the info, I have tried what animal said to do i.e. typing in the ip address in Firefox Internet explorer and google chrome and still isnt loading also I have cleared the cache and it still doesnt work. Also could someone tell me what a "Hosts File" is and where on my computer I can find it ?

Best Regards

Edited by eddywinch82, 11 May 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hosts file - Wikipedia :thumbsup:

Can you ping that website or IP?

#6 eddywinch82

eddywinch82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply how do I Ping the website or IP Address?

Best Regards

#7 eddywinch82

eddywinch82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hi there,

I Pinged www.expansions.com and each time it said "request timed out" any help would be appreciated

Best Regards

#8 eddywinch82

eddywinch82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hi there,

I found a post about proxy servers on the internet and have visited http://www.freeproxyserver.ca/ and typed in at the site www.expansions.com and I can now access
the website does this mean talktalk have blocked access to the site ?

Best Regards

and once again thanks everybody for your help

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

does this mean talktalk have blocked access to the site ?

That is very possible. I can access it just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users