Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! AOL is fighting back!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gypsyeyes

gypsyeyes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

ok, i decided to try aol for the first time and i hated it. i thought i had deleted it about 2 months ago. a few days ago my computer was acting up so i ran my spyware remover and caught 46 bugs. yesterday AOL had placed an icon on my desktop. i now use Netzero for my provider and i had a message saying my netzero was corrupted to re-install so i did but upon reboot aol promted me to re-try aol and started the installition screen. twice i cancled it and it came back up so i ran ad-awae again, getting 20 more hits. i deleted all the bugs last night and today my netzero is doing ok but i think its only because first thing today i ran the ad-aware spy remover and caught 2 bugs on my register key before starting any applications.

my delimma is pretty clearly AOL so if anyone can PLEASE help me resolve this issue i would greatly appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hello gypsyeyes and welcome to BC!! :thumbsup:

Did you uninstall the AOL program from your program files? Also, I have noticed many AOL related items when you use it. Did you delete all you could find?

Also, I would submit an HijackThis log to the BC HJT team and they can check for BAD stuff for you. Go to the discussions area and look for the HJT Logs (HijackThis) discussions. You will find links and instructions there.

Good luck,

diego88

#3 gypsyeyes

gypsyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:29 PM

Thank you much. i will try your suggestions. yes i have uninstalled and cleared as much as i could. i have heard rumors that AOL will "attack" if it is installed in a computer with other ISP programs, more so if you use the other ISP over AOL. sounds odd to me but with technology i wouldnt put it past the AOL guys! Again, Thanks! --Gypsy

#4 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have not heard that, but, like you said wouldn't put it passed them. I know when I had AOL and then canceled and changed to Juno I had a problem opening a program that would need the web to run. It would automatically try to go on using my old AOL and made me very cautios because if I went ahead and went online with AOL (they had all my info ready even my screen name and password (from my PC remembering it) so that if I went on I would now be back enrolled with AOL. I couldn't use the program. Finally when I uninstalled and deleted everything I was ok and the program would then pull from Juno. Hopefully you'll figure it out and that you do not have any viruses, etc.

Take care,

diego88

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users