Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP peformance boost?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 typ61382

typ61382

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

I haven't upgraded a thing on my laptop, which I got back in August 2003. I run XP SP2, but this system only has 256 MB of RAM. Even though I just use it for e-mail, chat, browsing, word processing, and listening to music/watching a DVD ... it just feels slow.

That having been said, I have purchased more memory. I am replacing two 128 sticks with two 256 sticks.

Will a performance boost be notable, or minimal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Doubling the RAM as you have done will give your laptop a shot of adrenalin. It means the hard disk won't have to be used as much as before for 'virtual memory'. because RAM is many times faster than even the fastest hard disk, this will allow Windows, and you, to get things done more quickly. You should see less hard disk activity when your copying large files or working on hi-res graphics for example. Definitely worth the money, and let's face it, with a laptop there's not a lot of other options for boosting it's performance in hardware terms.

Edited by pip22, 29 September 2005 - 01:56 PM.

#3 typ61382

typ61382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:07 PM

I'm just hoping all goes well. The sticks are "guaranteed" to be compatable, according to Crucial, so they should work. Arrive tomorrow, not a moment too soon.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:13 PM

pip22 was correct when he/she said:

Doubling the RAM as you have done will give your laptop a shot of adrenalin

But some other things can greatly effect speed, performance and effeciency of your computer. For instance:

How many programs do you have running in the background?

Do you have any resource hog programs installed, such as Norton or AOL?

Is the computer free of malware?

Your answers to the above questions will have a large impact on your computing experience and enjoyment! :thumbsup:

That being said, 256 MB of RAM in an XP machine is minimum in my book, and doubling that is an excellent idea.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users