Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Turns Blank

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

My laptop screen has been turning black randomly, as if I turned off the computer. However, if you shine some light on the actual screen, you can still see the website I was on, I can even see the "Start Menu" when I click the Start on the keyboard.

Does anyone know what the problem is!? Because it just stays like that. The only way I could get it to work is by putting the screen down so that the laptop would go on hibernate mode, then when it is, I'll just open the lid again and then turn it on, which then works fine afterwards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Christa W

Christa W

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

Sorry, but I have questions before I know if I have answers. :-)

Is this the same laptop that had battery problems a while back? Did you replace the battery?
Does it do this regardless of whether it's plugged in or running on the battery?
What brand/model is the laptop, how old?
What are your power saving settings? (This can be accessed from the control panel, or often by right-click on the battery icon in the tray)

It sounds like the laptop is prematurely/improperly cutting power to the display, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Christa

#3 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yes, it is the same laptop with battery problems and no, I didn't replace the battery because it's working fine now.
Yes, the last time it happened, my laptop was plugged in.
Acer 5315, around 2 and a half years
My power setting is "Balanced"

#4 Christa W

Christa W

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

A couple of possibilities come to mind. Hardware wise, it maybe could be the inverter, but it sounds more like a power management issue. I checked and I can't find any updates for your system that would affect that directly. I suggest trying this: Create a new power settings plan that is set to never turn off the display on both battery and while plugged in, use it for a while and see if it keeps happening. I'm wondering if there's a malfunction in how and when the computer is applying the settings.

In the meantime perhaps someone here will think of something else I might be overlooking.

Christa

#5 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Thanks. I'll try to change my power settings plan.

I'll post back if it happens again.

#6 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

sounds like the back lighting is gone.
if you can faintly see what it is doing.
the power management would not normally kill the back lighting...just reduce it to save power.

#7 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

I've tried the changing my power plan settings and so far, there hasn't been any problem. I think that the problem is overheating. The time that my laptop turned off on it's own, it was quite hot. I looked it up on google and I think that overheating is the problem.

Anyways, I've got another problem. Before, there used to be a warning everytime my battery is getting low, but it hasn't happened for months now. I always forget to check if the battery is low therefore when I'm using my laptop, sometimes it just turns off because there was no warning so I didn't know that the battery is low. I've checked the settings and it is set to warn me but it doesn't. Also, lately even though it's not low battery yet (the settings is set to automatically shut down when my battery reaches 15%) but sometimes, it's not even 25% yet and it just turns off.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

#8 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

the battery probably went bad on you.
sometimes the battery will have a button for you to push to check the status of the battery.
you could check to see if it indicates it is failing

#9 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

How do I check the status of the battery?

My laptop turned off again on it's on. It was charging and it wasn't even that hot. I think it's battery problems. I may need to replace it.

#10 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

as i mentioned in the last post.
sometimes there is a button on the battery with an led readout for the status.
sometimes you can get the status in the bios.
sometimes you have a battery monitoring software installed from the manufacturer.

#11 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hi, Do you mind telling me how to check it?

I don't think that there's a button on the battery on my laptop.

How do I check from the manufacturer?

#12 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

Oh, and is it safe to remove to back cover of a laptop to clean the cooling fan!?

I've had my laptop for nearly more than 2 years now and I have never got it cleaned. I'm thinking of un-screwing the back cover but is it okay to do that?

#13 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

if you have never done it then probably not.
you should be able to clean it enough just by blowing out the vents.

#14 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

I tried blowing the vents but it's still overheating.

Should I get it cleaned from a computer shop?

I'm not 100% sure if it's overheating problems but what do you suggest I do? I'm thinking of sending it to get cleaned at a computer shop.

Edited by Help Me 101, 21 May 2010 - 04:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users