Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system crash/reboot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cuecker

cuecker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

Am running Windows Vista Home Premium. Windows reports an error, sends data to a data dump and shuts down. Reboots in Safe Mode. Cannot find the error (donít know what Iím looking for exactly) but did find info related to http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2002/08/events/event - presumably related to an automatic update (?) that appears repeatedly at about the time of system crashes. System has been shutting down and/or failing to return from sleep for about a week. When returning from sleep, computer is running but monitor is blank and usually when I reboot computer starts in safe mode. Searching today I found info about the minidump file and located it but could not open the file. There are numerous options to fix the problem with DMP file extension but that problem seems extraneous to the problem with system shut down and rebooting in safe mode, except I think someone may want to look at the dump file. Donít want to add to my problems by downloading additional software/fixes I donít know anything about until I resolve this issue.

Most recent activity was a virus picked up off server at work on my flash drive. My computer caught the virus in Vista and on my laptop I found two more files (XP). After that I downloaded and ran ComboFix. Perhaps did the two (quarantined virus/worm and ran ComboFix) too close together as that has caused the incidents to run together and I cannot differentiate between them. I tired to use system restore but it fails. I found the ComboFix while researching the information about the virus/worm AVIRA quarantined on my computer but cannot recall exactly what prompted me to install and run it.

I am running AVIRA Antivirus. It was scanning when my computer crashed today. There was an error related to inability to communicate with (I think) outside?

EDIT: Moved from Vista to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2010 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cuecker

cuecker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

I followed recommendations to other users and ran the MBAM fix for malware. My results on PC (Vista) produced 18 problems, all fixed. On my laptop (XP) there were close to 350 problems, all fixed.

The problem, my original one, with the monitor failing to recover after Sleep, was not solved. So I went back to search for more. I think I have found the solution.

At cnet I found the following solution which appears to have resolved my issue.

FYI - I recall an update recently that contained verbiage similar to what I see in my Monitor Display/adapter file.

The solution for Vista Home Premium 32Bit:

Go to power options. You will be changing the setting for each of the three types of power plans individually.
For each, click on "change advanced power settings"
Find Multimedia Settings
In drop down un "when sharing media option" select "allow the computer to sleep" .

All power plans should be changed to this setting.

Very simple. I have put my computer to sleep several times and it reboots fine and the monitor comes on fine. I have not done a long term sleep yet but hopefully that won't be a factor.

Cnet link: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=185067

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users