Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building first PC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ydayna

ydayna

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'm building my first PC. I have one question. do i install the power supply before installing the motherboard and cpu. Or is it the other way around. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

With the power supply, it doesn't really matter. The power hookups to the motherboard will have to be made eventually once both are in the case anyway.

3939.png

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

I've found it's easier to put the PS last, that way it gives you plenty of room to put everything else in first. JMHO though.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Since we are pitching in the "how to's":

I put everything together outside the case. Motherboard, CPU, cooler, and memory are a unit when it gets installed in the case. Usually I also hook up the PSU, and the video card (if not onboard) and monitor to make sure the board at least posts before I install it in the case. After that I install the PSU in the case first (depending on the case.)

Edited by dpunisher, 10 May 2010 - 07:36 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

I prefer doing it the way dpunisher does it.
It's easier to assemble everything out of the case, where you have plenty of room to work, then install it as a unit.

I install the PSU last, so I don't have to deal with a bundle of wires, and possibly pinning a wire behind the motherboard.

Just make sure it's not plugged in, before you start installing it. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 enyo-glove

enyo-glove

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Just make sure you'll have enough space to install the PS last. Some combinations of case and motherboard / CPU cooler I've come accross won't leave enough room to get the PS in after installing other components.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

A lot depends on the case involved, I find some cases its easier to install the PSU first and mobo second, others vice versa. Some cases you HAVE to install the PSU first if you dont want to damage motherboard parts getting it in-particularly micro atx cases. In your larger cases its not such a big deal, but I tend to install the PSU first just out of habit. I also tend to like cases with bottom mounted PSUs-theres enough room to install it whenever you want to that way, and even if you do it first, you don't have to worry about the cables being in the way.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 ydayna

ydayna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

One more thing. I assume the hard drive and dvd drive goes in before powering up too. Am i correct on this?

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

One more thing. I assume the hard drive and dvd drive goes in before powering up too. Am i correct on this?

Yes and no. It depends on your case as to when you need to install the drives. Some cases require the drives to be installed first to get the mobo in, and vice versa for some others. I power up with the drives disconnected just to make sure everything posts OK. After I make sure everything is happy, I power down and hook up the drives and install what I need to. I got bitten once by a shorted hard drive (brand new) that immediately shut down my power supply when I turned the power on. Took me awhile, and some cussing, to find the culprit.

Everyone has a different way to do things. My way certainly shouldn't be taken as gospel. I just try to put things together in a way which minimizes head scratching and "Uh Oh" moments.

Edited by dpunisher, 11 May 2010 - 02:59 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

As long as everything is hooked up before you press your power button, it doesn't necessarily matter what part goes into the computer first, a lot really depends on the case your using and what hardware, and personal preference, as to what part to put in first.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 ydayna

ydayna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

I appreciate all your help here. I'm new to putting a computer together, just can't find one in the store that i want. I'm sure i'll have more questions before i get the parts next week. It's nice having professional help when you need it.

thank you

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

np thats what were here for :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

#13 Sophia.dicosta

Sophia.dicosta

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

I suggests that first , you may install Motherboard & CPU then start power supply. Because these both are the main parts of computer so if you will not ad them first so power supply is useless.

#14 ydayna

ydayna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

I do not have an input for the monitor on the back of my computer except on my video card. So will installing my video card and connecting the DVI cable bring up the monitor or am i going to have to find another way to bring up a picture on the monitor. Once i get the motherboard, cpu, dvd drive and video card installed i plan on starting up the power supply. Should i be prepared for any problems. After doing that i was going to install the drivers, then microsoft windows then install the video card driver.

Am i correct in doing this or am i looking for problems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users