Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant disk drive access

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter09

Peter09

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hello,

I have a new Gateway DX4831-03c with Windows 7- 64 bit with 8 GB RAM and a 1T SATA hard drive. It seems to work fine, except for the annoyance of constant hard drive access, the drive light blinking on and off in about one second intervals. The resource monitor shows that the "System" service is responsible for this hard drive write access, minimal, about 20KB/sec and <2% CPU, but it is annoying as heck (or Chinese water torture). The problem appears to persist even when search indexing and monitoring services, defragmentation, etc. are disabled. I already turned off all the services that I dared to, now don't know what else to do.

Also went through the whole virus, rootkit and malware detection process, the system is clean. See "Constant disk drive access" thread in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=312980&hl=

Can anyone suggest a fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

uhhh, put some tape over it? I thought all computer's did this? (mine does and I never noticed and now it is all I can see)

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

What anti-virus do you use? Try disabling it and see if the constant hard drive accessing goes away.

I was about to recommend you check the Resource Monitor, but it seems you've already done that....mine shows System as one of the top processes accessing the hard drive, as well. But it's not accessing the hard drive ALL the time.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 10 May 2010 - 06:51 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users