Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics card not detected

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

I just purchased a PNY Geforce GT 240 1GB DDR3 PCI E x16

The drivers are installed.

I inserted the card and plugged the monitor cable from the monitor to the graphics card and turned the computer on. The computer starts but the monitor won't :thumbsup: but if i plug the cable from the monitor into the back on my pc like it used to it starts fine. The only thing i can think of is i currently use the onboard Geforce 6150 LE chipset before i installed this card or something to do with my PSU. Any suggestions or ideas?

Edited by MatthewC2510, 10 May 2010 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

there should be a setting in the bios to start the video off the pcie port first instead of the onboard.

#3 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

I looked at that and saved it to pci-e and plug and play is on as well. I can hear the cards fan going round as well. Not surewhy its not detected. :thumbsup:

I went to display and settings and thats set for plug and play on Nvidia Geforce 6150 LE

Edited by MatthewC2510, 10 May 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

What is the output ratings listed on your PSU?

Another thing to keep in mind is some motherboards do not actually turn off the on-board video graphics accelerator and in a case like this the computer ends up running in dual-monitor mode because both video accelerators are both running at the same time.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

I think its 300W which is the minimum. I was starting to think it was the psu after doing a little searching. I should be going to the computer shop tomorrow and look at an upgrade. I did disable the onboard graphics and set primary display to pci-e in the bios hooked up the monitor to graphics card but monitor still did not run.

My computer is a Compaq Presario 2019UK

The specs of the computer are at this Hewlett Packard site.

Compaq Presario Media Center SR2019

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

OK here is what I found on PNY's web site for this card ĽA minimum 300W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 18A)

Does your PSU deliver a continuous minimum output of 18 Amps?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

By the way what operating system are you currently using is it Windows Vista? if this is a yes, what version is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

#8 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have no idea about amps. :thumbsup: Im new to this psu thing.

I have this info on my current psu though.

Bestec PSU Model ATX 300-122 DCR

I am on Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2002 service pack 3 with 2gb ddr2 ram. unsure about 32 or 64 bit. I do have AMD Athlon 64

Edited by MatthewC2510, 10 May 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Ok try this driver at Nvidia's web site.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_197.45_whql.html

I think you made a typo in your model number, I think its supposed to be an ATX 300-12Z CDR is this correct?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 May 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#10 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

I think it is a typo as google corrected me as well :flowers: :thumbsup:

I will try those Nvidia drivers.

I find it strange though that when i plug in the cable from my monitor to the graphics card in the vga slot the monitor does not start or no signal im not sure what would do that.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Here is what I found for the output specs for your power supply if it is the Bestec ATX 300-12Z CDR unit.

DC Outputs (Amps Max/Min): +3.3V (28/0.5A), +5V (30/1.0A), +12V (19/1.0A), -12V (0.8/0.0A), +5VSB (2.0/0.0A)
DC Notes: (1) +3.3V and +5V total output not to exceed 180W, (2) +5V and +12V total output not to exceed 288W

as I found on this site here http://www.power-on.com/atx12vhp300bt.html

If this is the case and this is your power supply, then you do not have enough AMPS to run this card, the card requires 18 Amps continous output, I see 19 Amps next to your +12 volt rating for your power supply, however it is just boarder line and dont forget that 18 amps is being shared with other hard ware as well, so chances are your below the 18 Amps required to run this card.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 May 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#12 MatthewC2510

MatthewC2510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

What PSU would you recommend? something about 405W or 550W ?

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

What PSU would you recommend? something about 405W or 550W ?

I would suggest one that has around 550 Watts, however you have to keep in mind that the Amps is the actual working power of the power supply, meaning the amps rating is critical to how good a power supply actually is and how much of a load it can handle.

Pay close attention to power supplies that show an output rating of 50 Amps output or more, specially on the +12 Volt output.

You want your power supply to supply more current than what is called for by your hard ware, this way there is no compitition between your hard ware for what is available.

You could try looking on http://www.newegg.com for power supplies to get an idea what is out there and what you can afford in price.

#14 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Think this is the right power supply

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-watt-p...-300-12zcdr.php

comes in at minimum with 12V and 19A max rating.

In display and settings to the right of nvidia geforce 6150 LE should be a down arrow if your card is detected it will be in the drop down list select it click apply and ok to use it.

If not go to start>control panel>system>hardware tab>device manager go down display adapters if yours is there check if there is exclamation mark there open it up and check the driver may be disabled because of a problem or be corrupted. If no exclamation mark just check to see that device is working properly is displayed indicating driver is ok.
If your device is not displayed under display adapters there may be an unknown vga device listed with a question mark indicating no driver installed.

When you boot your pc up and it starts to perform post where it tests all your connected internal hardware it should display your graphics card device by name before anything else. If it fails to display could indicate a problem may be to do with power.

Try his link to a power calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and add 30% for degradation over time.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#15 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

Apologies didn't refresh.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users