Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 redwolfman

redwolfman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hi new here I am an amateur film maker and I would like to build a computer that can hold lots of data up tp 12tb and can transfer data fast form inter to exter harddrives. I put this together at newegg and would like some recommendation and what to upgrade to something better.
Ill be using Win7 64bit
Here are the parts
MB- GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 ATX Intel Motherboard

Proc- Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor or Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

Ram-Patriot 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Case- Antec Twelve Hundred Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Power Supply-KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W Power Supply

Vcard-GIGABYTE Radeon HD 4350 GV-R435OC-512I Video Card Dont need a good card because I another computer that will deal with the editing.

CD-LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA Model WH10LS30 LightScribe Support

HDD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive main just to install Win and no data

and HDD to hold data and tranfers mulpy 2tb 32Cache 7200
without the 2tb HDD and the i7 comes out to $1182 I am willing to go up $1300 on the computer if u can recom something just post and ill look it up.
What would be better get for 2tb 32Cache 7200 seagate or western digtel
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

If you want fast data xfer speeds you should look into 10000 rpm drives or SAS (Serial Attach SCSI) drives. Not sure if adding those would keep you within your $1300 budget though. For SAS you would need to purchase a SAS controller card as well as the drive.

Edited by strolln, 10 May 2010 - 01:05 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 redwolfman

redwolfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thanks but adding the SAS drives is going add a lot of money for little space but am going to look the higher rpm drives.

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

that board does not support triple channel mode.
be sure that the memory you are getting works in dual channel mode.
i would still buy in kits of 2 not in kits of 3 as you will then run in single channel mode.
as for the drives i think you are okay where you are at to keep your price in your budget.
the only way to make it faster is go with 10k rpm drives or solid state.
then your price will jump considerably.

#5 redwolfman

redwolfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Thanks iam going look for a sets of memory sticks. What brand out there would u recommended? If I were to get these would they work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231323

Edited by redwolfman, 10 May 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

Given your budget, I would go for an AMD build as it is cheaper. I would go for the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX as it has SATA 6 and USB 3 also but also on-board GPU so you don't need to buy a new one. Pair that with AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz and you will be good to go. Most RAM, if it works out-of-the-box and successfully passes a memory stress test, usually work well under normal conditions. There are several good memory brands such as Crucial, Mushkin, OCZ, A-Data, OCZ, Kingston, and Patriot.

3939.png

#7 redwolfman

redwolfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Ill look into the AMD but would like to stay with Intel.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

May I ask why you want to stay with Intel? I'm genuinely curious. One other thing, your Blu-Ray drive does not come with playback software, so if you're using this drive to watch Blu-Ray movies, you will need to pay for something like WinDVD as Windows does not come with the software.

3939.png

#9 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

Thanks iam going look for a sets of memory sticks. What brand out there would u recommended? If I were to get these would they work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231323

now you're talking the right matching set
i have never used g.skill
i use crucial and ocz as they back there product if you buy spec ram.

also not wanting to turn this into a debate over intel vs. amd but i think djbpace07 has a point with amd bringing your budget down.
the draw back is if you want a cooler chip or you just plainly prefer intel over amd.

as for blu-ray decoder there are several free dvd decoders like vlc media player but as for now none of them support blu-ray playback so yes unfortunately you would have to buy a blu-ray software package or wait for support.

#10 redwolfman

redwolfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

I was able to get a friend to chip in on the price the budget want up to $1800. I want and upgrade it to an i7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115225 with the right MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131614 . I just used Intel and never tried AMD thats about it also my friend is also paying he like an Intel to. Is there a real big difference in Intel i7 930 or AMD Phenom II X6 1055T or the 1090T? I dont need a whole page explaneing why just one or 2 points and Ill do some of my own research.
Now I update ram to 12Gbs of memory would it be better to buy in 2 sets 6gbs or 1 set of 12bs?
If I got 1 set 12Gbs which one would u guys choose
CORSAIR XMS3 12GB
OCZ Gold 12GB
Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series 12GB
Thanks a lot for the anwser and thanks about the info about the blue ray because I would of bought and it wouldnt play anything.
Srry for asking all these questions I just want make sure I spend my money right.

#11 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

cool this new board supports triple channel.
OCZ stands out for me.
i have used them before and the gold thermal dissipation unites look neat too.
if you are used to running intels there is no problem. the biggest differences are they are a cooler chip for the most part and they carry more onboard memory for faster computing. also they are a bit more expensive.

#12 redwolfman

redwolfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Ill pick the OCZ and just stay with Intel then.

Edited by redwolfman, 11 May 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

FWIW: I'm not sure how much 12GB of RAM will prove to be a benefit.

From what I see...4GB seems to be the standard Win 7 aims at for optimal performance.

OTOH, it won't hurt anything to have an excess amount.

Louis

#14 redwolfman

redwolfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

better safe then sorry :thumbsup:

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

Because you asked, and I didn't get here sooner, the main difference between Intel and AMD is price, both CPU and motherboard. Aside from that, unless you go past the $300 mark in terms of CPU price, AMD and Intel are very similar in terms of performance. As another poster pointed out, Intel's CPU's do have a little more on-board cache, 8MB, and AMD's have 6MB. Overall this does not have a meaningful impact on performance. Evaluating CPU's should be done on an overall measurement and not on L1 or L2 cache or gigahertz. I've used both Intel and AMD CPU's (Currently using an Intel Q9450) and will go to whichever offers a decent performance at a price I'm willing to spend within a budget. Will this PC be used for gaming or anything else besides data storage or basic tasks? If you're going for data storage and are using SATA 6-capable motherboards (Both mine and your most recent motherboard support this), you may want SATA 6 hard drives to take advantage of the speed increase. The OCZ gold in your post is very nice and should work well. It's also a great deal. Occasionally, buying two or three RAM kits as, opposed to one large kit, is more cost effective.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users