Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't read sdhc card, even tho fixes installed. help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

I'm having trouble getting my XP Pro SP3 Dell machine to read a 4 gb Sandisk SDHC card I bought, and that I know works (it has pix on it). I went to support.microsoft.com and downloaded and installed 2 fixes, KB923293 and kb934428.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm using a Sandisk adapter card and a MobileMate SD memory card reader. The MobilMate reader plugs into a USB port, and I've tried the 4 gb card both by itself in the MemoryMate reader, and in the Sandisk adapter. Neither way works. When I plug the card into the USB port I get a musical indicator, and the little icon pops up showing that there's something on the USB port, but when I launch My Computer, it does not show any USB drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Are you sure the memory card reader you have supports SDHC? Many of them don't especially if they are a couple of years old. If you can read a smaller card but not the 4G then this is the most likely reason.

Edited by strolln, 10 May 2010 - 12:57 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

I would try uninstalling the drivers for the card reader, then rebooting (and hence, reinstalling them). If that does nothing, check Disk Management to see if the card is there, but just needs to have a drive letter added.

As strolln said, if the card reader does not support SDHC (the HC stands for high capacity), then it won't work anyway.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

I bought my device 2 or at most 3 years ago, and bought it specifically to be able to read a 4GB sdhc card. Here's a link to a page on the Sandisk site that lists all sorts of devices the thing allegedly supports:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2538

This page does not say anything about the size(s) of the cards supported, tho it does list a lot of different formats.

All that said, the idea that perhaps this device does not, in fact, support a 4 GB card is a very plausible one, and I will get a more recent reader and see what happens.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Assuming you linked to the correct page, it lists SDHC as supported so the reader should be able to read the card.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users