Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant remove malware defense

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jillc

jillc

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:15 AM

This computer had CA running which reported several viruses and the Anti-spyware reported malware defense (among others) but was not removing them. I couldn't get to safe mode (I think this is a problem with the wireless keyboard) so I used ESET online scanner. This identified several viruses (different names of course) and cleaned them off. The Windows alert telling me there was no firewall disappeared. All good.
I then decided to run CA anti-virus and anti-spyware again - The MalWare Defense was still there. All other viruses/trojans appear to have been zapped. I looked at the reference provided and opened up Regedit and removed the 2 offending lines. Ran Anti-spyware again - Malware Defense was still there. Repeated 4/5 times.

That's when I did a search and found the Bleeping Computer removal instructions. I downloaded rkill and ran it. I downloaded malwarebytes, renamed it, installed it, downloaded the random-named file, opened, and then tried to update it. I came up with an error message and refused to update.

I decided to quick scan (I know it said full scan) and when it completed I clicked the OK button. The program immediately closed. I opened it again, tried again to update it, then ran a full scan. After an hour or so, it identified 566 infections. So I clicked on the OK button and once again the program closed.

There was nothing left in the quarantine window, log window or anywhere.

So, what now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:42 AM

FWIW: BC Removal Guide, Malware Defense.

I will move this from the XP forum to the more appropriate Am I Infected forum. From this point on, please take all instructions from authorized members of the BC staff working in that forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users