Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:56 PM
Well this is a workaround I discovered that allows a user to change their background and screensaver on Windows 7 Starter Edition by using the Asus EeePC specialty software.
The locks are ridiculously easy to get around, I will start with how to get passed the ScreenSaver lock. Actually it isn't locked, just hidden.
1. Press the Start Button or Windows Key
2. Click in the search box
3. Type Screensaver
4. Click "Change Screen Saver"
5. Now disable that awful Asus Screensaver
Next lets work on that desktop wallpaper we get. This only works on the Asus EeePC.
1. Click at the top of the screen and go to EeePC Tool > System Setting
1a. Alternately go to the start button and just type System Setting into the search box, open the top listing
2. Once you get System Setting open you will see that there are a few different wallpaper choices by default, and all of them are awful
3. What we are interested in here is that there is a dropdown box above the pictures and it has 2 listings with one being Default and another being Sample Pictures
4. So that "Sample Pictures" is really the Windows Sample directory!
5. Save your desired wallpaper images into that directory which is accessible by Libraries > Pictures > Sample Pictures in Windows Explorer
6. Once you have saved images to that directory they will be shown as wallpaper choices in the System Setting application
7. Pick you wallpaper!
There, now you have freed your desktop from the clutches of Windows 7 Starter edition!
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009