Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run ComboFix or remove it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DeenaS

DeenaS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

I downloaded and ran ComboFix and it worked great! However, I wanted to run it again, but get this error box...

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the file.

I cannot find ComboFix on Add/Remove Programs and when I have tried to uninstall using Start-->Run-->combofix /uninstall, I am told it cannot be located. The icon on the desktop is a generic one and is no longer the little ComboFix icon. I cannot drag the icon to the Trash, nor can right click-->delete. I get this message when I do that...

Cannot delete ComboFix: Access is denied.
Make sure the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I was going to uninstall so that I can reinstall the program, but when I try that, nothing happens. I click Save for the Security Warning and tell it to save on the desktop, and after that, nothing happens.

OS--Windows XP SP3
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3

I'm not sure what else to tell you, but if you need other info, I'll get it for you.

Thanks!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

As a general policy, we at BC do not offer advice on how to run combofix on your computer unless we asked you to run it or there is a problem with your computer that is caused by running it. This is because we do not feel people should run CF without being advised to do so by someone who is attempting to treat a malware issue on that system.

If you are being advised to run it by such a person, then you should contact that person and have them help you, as they should have the knowledge to do so.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Louis

Note: I am moving this thread from the XP forum to the more appropriate Antivirus Products, Firewall & Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Let me ask where you downloaded it from.

ComboFix UNINSTALL
To uninstall ComboFix, press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or go to Posted Image > Run... and in the Open dialog box, type:
ComboFix /Uninstall
  • Posted Image
  • Press OK.
  • Doing this will:[list]
  • Delete ComboFix's related folders and files.
  • Reset the clock settings.
  • Hide file extensions.
  • Hide System/Hidden files.
  • Clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection.
  • Create a new Restore point.
-- Vista users, users can refer to these instructions: How to Enable Run Command in Vista
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users