Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping HDD from HP notebook to Dell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 giusti825

giusti825

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

I had a HP dv4 series laptop and the Motherboard fried 30 days after the warranty expired. (thanks HP for another quality product) The dv4 series is apparently one of the notebook series not on the recall list, at least not yet.

I also have a dell laptop PP12L. The Dell doesnt have Microsoft office but i have school work on my HP HDD that i need. The HP had microsoft office 2007.

I bought an HDD encolsure kit and i was wondering which would be the better of the two options and how to do them most efficiently:

OPTION 1.

I would like to boot the Dell with the HDD from the HP. I have tried this and the computer wont get past the startup screen. I would imagine that it has something to do with the drivers from the HP not being compatible to the Dell. Is there a way to make this work without having to format my HDD.

OPTION 2:

If i cant boot the Dell with the HDD from the HP, is there a way to use my copy of word 2007 on the Dell. I am not sure if this is important, but the dell has xp and the HP had vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by giusti825, 09 May 2010 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hello,

1. Unfortunately you can't boot a computer of anothers computer hard-drive IF :huh: the hard drive is still set to the previous computer settings, were it came from (Such as O.S., and Drivers).

You would need to reformat the hard-drive in order to boot of the Dell's parameters, such as O.S. and Drivers, from the HP's HDD.

2. If you are worried of using MS Office, because it is not in your Dell, you can get a copy of Open Office, it reads all the MS office files, and it does everything that it does, but I think its even better. If this is your goal I think this can really help.

Here is the link:
http://download.openoffice.org/

Good-bye :thumbsup:

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

If you have an XP cd you can do a repair installation
See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

<<...but the dell has xp and the HP had vista.>>

No chance. The licenses don't even match.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users