Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Issues- Enter at own risk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtl310

jtl310

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Problem- No sound

History:
I have had this computer since 04 and had no problems with sound. I have reinstalled windows and just installed the drivers and the sound worked. But recently for no particular reason the sound has disappeared.

So i have had no sound for many months - i spent many nights trying to fix the problem to no avail
- Tried reinstalling the Drivers
- took out and put back in sound card
- played with various settings
- At one point Windows would state there is no sound card - but skype would be able to pick up the sound card and play sound
- Messed around some more and skype doesnt see any sound cards either
- At one point the properties of the driver stated the sound card not enabled or not on or something but recognized - cant remember sorry

mmm there were a few more things but i cant remember the specifics.

Present:
- I need sound, this is a computer and ive gone with a few months without it but id like to raise my quality of living :thumbsup:

- Any help advice etc.. would be greatly appreciated and i reply quite fast. Also if you are online in the Chat room of BSOD let me know cause i can be on there at almost any time.

Thanks for reading :flowers:

Edited by jtl310, 09 May 2010 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

Desktop or Laptop?

#3 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

It sounds like your sound card could be defected. If you're using a laptop with an on-board sound card, the only option may be to have the laptop sent back to the manufacturer for repairs. However, if you're using a desktop that uses on-board sound, you could always buy an additional sound card.

The thing that makes it sound as if there is a defect is the fact that Windows sees the card sometimes, sometimes not. Then again, the issue could always be with the operating system itself. Try finding the specifications for your sound card and manually installing the drivers, in an attempt to force the system to see it.

Also, you might consider updating your motherboard drivers.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi you need to supply further details as you have provided no information except for a description of probelm.

Please give computer details Make, model and model no. and specifications.

What operating system you are using?

What make and model and model no of soundcard is installed?
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 jtl310

jtl310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Hey guys sorry i was away for a while and just got too busy - but now im back and hoping to have this resolved asap!

Computer:
DELL XPS Gen 2
Processor IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Processor Speed 3.12 GHz
Memory (RAM) 1024 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

SoundCard - Soundblaster Audigy 2
ATI radeon 2600XT AGP

The computer as i said was working great and then just suddenly the audio went away.

Let me know if you need more info THanks alot for all the interest and help!!

Edited by jtl310, 20 May 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#6 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

Any chance you can include a screen shot of the Device Manager?

#7 jtl310

jtl310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

Any chance you can include a screen shot of the Device Manager?

There you go :thumbsup: = let me know if you need anything else

Device Manager part 1

Device Manager part 2

Edited by jtl310, 20 May 2010 - 10:33 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

I have seen your list above from your device manager.

I see an ATI function driver for High Definition Audio is disabled, that is X'ed out. (Not sure why this was done)

I also see two drivers related to Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo canceler and Microsoft Kernel Audio splitter that show an exclamation mark, meaning those drivers are not installed or have problem.

You might have a Microsoft brand device that is audio related that lacks the proper drivers.

You say you have Sound Blaster sound card, I see where those drivers are being shown as installed and functioning.

Are you sure the jack for the audio output is OK and that you are plugged into the proper audio output jack and not the digital output one or line-in?

I have seen some Sound Blaster sound cards where the card is working but the output jack is the problem, it is not making proper contact with the external speaker plugs conductors. This can be caused to by corroded contacts, or a loose connection with one of the jacks leads soldered to the sound cards circuit board.

Solution to try: Install the devices marked with exclamation marks.

Check your sound card for loose connectors where jack is solder to board.

Make sure your volume controls in windows are not muted and are turned up.

Those might help bring your audio back.

Good luck.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

You had edited your original post to add two separate links, I see where there is another device whose drivers are not installed.

RAS Async Adapter #2 also lacks a driver.

Note: any thing with a ! means there is no driver, or there is a problem with that driver.

Any thing with an X means it has been disabled, usually by the user.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users