Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Automatic Updates Will Not Turn On.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheVegas

TheVegas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

My Automatic Updates for Windows XP will not turn on. When I click the red shield next to the clock on the bottom right hand of the screen, Windows Security Center pops up. Under the Automatic Updates tab, it is labeled OFF in red font. I click the button to turn them back on and this messages appears "We're sorry. The Security Center could not change your Automatic Update settings. To try changing these settings yourself, go to System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic (recommended), and then click OK." I do exactly this, go back to the Security Center, try to turn them on again, and the same message appears. I've run Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Super Anti-Spyware. All the results almost always come back clean. Occasionally, Spybot will find something and it fixes it, but the problem still persists. I've experienced no problems with my computer in terms of speed or anything like that. Everything still works fine, but I know that it's important to have Automatic Updates turned on. It's also annoying when the little balloon keeps popping up at the bottom of the screen, telling me that my Automatic Updates is off. I've tried to fix this problem before on another forum, but nothing worked. I did the whole Start, Run, services.msc process and that didn't do anything. I also tried the Dial-a-Fix program? That also didn't help. Does anyone have anything to offer that could solve this problem? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

All the results almost always come back clean. Occasionally, Spybot will find something and it fixes it, but the problem still persists.

Do you have the logs from those scans? I'm interested to see what was found....

I'm inclined to believe you are infected with something that runs a little deeper than what those tools can find/remove....
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

FWIW: None of those programs you mention...are AV programs. In my world, that would mean a high risk of infection.

As for auto updates...try turning it off...running chkdsk /r and then turning it on.

If that fails, then consider running the sfc /scannow command, to replace missing/damaged system files.

You might also examine errors noted in Event Viewer, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users