Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Export-Import Messages (Folders) in Outlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FlyerEd

FlyerEd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

I decided to backup (copy) all my folders with messages in Outlook Express 6. I did a Google search and found numerous sites which gave specific instructions for doing this. All, including Microsoft, were basically the same. I exported to my desktop assuming everything would be in one folder, but rather every folder was displayed separately. I created a New Folder and dragged them all into it. I then opened OE6 and found there were no messages at all there. I then followed the suggested procedure for importing back to OE6 and the messages returned. I then deleted the New Folder I had created on the desktop and re-opened OE6. All messages were gone again. I was able to recover most of them (not all) by restoring from the Recycle Bin. I have attempted several times to recover all the messages and restore OE6 to the exact state it was in before I started this process, but could not. I picked a date prior to beginning this and did a System Restore, but it still left all the icons (folders) with messages on the desktop. Every time I would attempt to import these back to OE6, I would loose more messages. I have tried everything I can find information on but with no success. I simply want to get as many of my messages and folders back to OE6 and removed from the desktop. Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Please tell us...the exact steps you took...to import messages into the new message store.

You know...you could simply have changed your message store...to that folder...and your email would have worked fine.

It's not necessary to import messages into OE6...if you just change the message store location. I have all my old emails in folders labeled "2009 Emails", "2008 Emails" and so on and I do not use the default message store (which is in Documents and Settings).

Inside Outlook Express - Files and Settings - The OE Store Folder - http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

Louis

#3 FlyerEd

FlyerEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

I actually covered in detail the exact steps I took in my original message. Again, I clicked File, then Export, and then Messages. I chose Desktop at the export location. All individual folders were displayed on the desktop. I created a New Folder and dragged all folders into it. When I went back to Outlook Express, many of the folders and all messages were gone. In the process I deleted the New Folder and had to restore it from the Recycle Bin. I then imported the messages back to Outlook Express. They returned but were still on the desktop. Anything I deleted from the desktop was automatically deleted from Outlook Express. I did this several times and began to loose messages. That's when I contacted you originally. I was unable to read the .dbx files on the desktop so I downloaded a program called Mail Navigator which converted them to a format I could read. I still am unable to delete the folders with messages from the desktop without deleting them from Outlook Express. I need instructions on how to get the messages back into Outlook Express and then be able to delete them from the desktop. I have no idea how to do this. The few things I have tried have left me in a worse condition each time. Additionally, each time I Turn Off my computer and restart it, the message folders duplicate themselves on the desktop. I normally only use Hibernate any way and they do not duplicate when computer is shut down this way. I would certainly appreciate specific instructions on how I can rectify this situation.

Thank you so much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users