Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uTorrent causing slowdown in upload speeds?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

I have been using uTorrent for downloading for several years now, and have always found it to be a great program. Recently I have been backing upmy music collection to Mediafire, and I am finding that when I have uTorrent running, file uploads to Mediafire are slowed down in a MAJOR way. Normally, a zipped album (of, say, 40 MB) will take approximately 10 minutes to upload to Mediafire, but when I'm running uTorrent, the same size file can take up to an HOUR to upload.

I wouldn't normally care, but I'm trying to seed the files I've downloaded via uTorrent, and that requires, of course, leaving the program open. But the slowdown in uploading other files on Mediafire is starting to drive me crazy. What could be causing this? If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

All I know is this:

Torrents are part of peer-to-peer file distribution systems used for sharing and transferring files within a large network of users.

Using any peer-to-peer (P2P) or file sharing program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, uTorrent) is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge. Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and a Repair Install will NOT help!. In those cases, the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications.

I'm guessing your noticeable slowdown in speed is due to high bandwidth usage. If you're seeding file(s) and trying to upload stuff at the same time, it only follows that you'll experience a decrease in speed in any one application that uses the internet. One application using internet = fast internet. Five applications using internet = slower internet (bandwidth usage is divided).

See what I mean?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 catcher1

catcher1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

When you leave the program open, you use bandwidth, download/upload.
Lets say your upload speed is 60KB/s. Having uTorrent open, you use X of that upload speed, lets say 20KB/s (depends on what you chose in the settings)
That means that if you go to Mediafire and upload a file, you can now use 40KB/s upload, and not your max 60KB/s. That will take more time to upload.

I know from experience that if I use for example more than 50% of my upload speed (doesn't matter where I use that upload speed), my browsing will be affected and will be slow than normal. Also it will lower my download speed a bit.
So I always upload at about 40%, and then I can browse normally. Unless I am not using the computer then I set it to a higher value. Just an example.
Also if I use more than 80% of my total download speed (80% I mean by combining all the download sources, like program downloading and a browser loading a video etc), my browsing will become slow, so I usually don't download on the maximum, but a bit lower.

I use netlimiter (or similar program) to control both the maximum download and upload speeds, as well as to control speeds of specific programs like browser etc. That way I have control over which program can use more bandwidth, according to my priorities at any time. Especially because I have slow download/upload, and I sometime use several programs that require bandwidth.

Also check that you do not set too many connections (global and per torrent) in settings. That can also lead to slowdowns. I remember uTorrent has a built in guide that recommends you this and other settings.

A suggestion is to limit the download/upload speeds in uTorrent, even temporarily lower to a very low speed, so you can upload a file to Mediafire quickly, then you can change back your uTorrent speeds. Or temporarily exit uTorrent.

I hope I helped you understand why this happens.

Edited by catcher1, 10 May 2010 - 01:20 PM.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

That's more or less what I was trying to say...thanks for fully elaborating on it, catcher1. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the elaboration, catcher1....much appreciated! I'll definitely take your advice and limit my upload speed in uTorrent. Thankfully I should have all of my music collection uploaded soon, so it's a temporary issue. :D

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users