Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Google Redirect & recurring Cognac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 hypnotoad

hypnotoad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

When using Firefox or IE and doing a Google search, clicking on a link in the search results doesn't display the correct page but attempts to open several tabs/windows with random url names but always going to one of 4 IP addresses (78.47.249.228:80, 85.12.46.158:80, 85.12.46.159:80, 194.8.250.150).

FileZilla has caught and removed Congac twice, but it recurs. New today it also caught GASF & removed it. Hosts table is clean. AdAware, Spyware Doctor, NOD32, Spybot cleared out smaller issues (e.g. cookies) but found nothing else). NOD32 is at least catching the outgoing IP requests and blocking them.

I tried to run DDS.scr but while it appears to run to conclusion, no logs popup.

See attached for GMER log.

Thanks in advance, I'm about to reformat the whole silly thing but I could really use the $100 it will cost me to buy a new windows install CD!

---------------EDIT-------------------
I forgot to mention that I cannot enable the Windows firewall. When I try to start the Firewall/ICS service I get an "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." My router firewall is (now) enabled, however.

Attached Files

Edited by hypnotoad, 09 May 2010 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Somethings to remember while we are working together.
    1.Please do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
    2.Please reply to this thread, do not start another!
    3.Please tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
    4.Please tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.
    5.Please try as much as possible not to run anything while executing a fix.

If you follow these instructions, everything should go smoothly.

Download and run OTL:

Download OTL by Old Timer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
      netsvcs
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      CREATERESTOREPOINT
      %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
      %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
      %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /90
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them if you need to start a new topic.

"information and logs"
    In your next post I need the following
    1. the two OTL logs
    2. let me know of any problems you may have had
    3. How is the computer doing now?

Gringo

I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hello

three day bump

It has been Three days since my last post.
  • do you still need help with this?
  • do you need more time?
  • are you having problems following my instructions?
  • if after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed!

Gringo

I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#4 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now Closed

If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.
Please include the address of this thread in your request.
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please start a new topic.

With Regards,
Gringo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users