Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1606 Can't install programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smiledesigner

smiledesigner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

I'm using Windows XP on a Compaq desktop. A couple of months ago I ran a-squared free anti-spyware. I quarentined what was found and everything seemed
normal. When I turned on the computer the next day the desktop background was changed and some icons were missing, but noticed there was a new icon
on the desktop of a folder labeled %SystemDrive%. My Documents had missing folders so I went to C:\Documents and settings and found them to transfer
them back to My Documents.

I didn't notice anything else wrong until last week I tried to update Adobe Reader and got the Error 1606 Could not access network location
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\ When trying to install\uninstall programs I
get the same error message. Also the Administrative Tools icon in the Control Panel just clicks but does not open.

Windows XP was installed on a new hard drive a couple of years ago. One fix suggested a problem with using Norton. I have not used Norton
on this computer. I'm running Avira AntiVi Personal. I have used the Microsoft Fit It 50356 "Fix it for me" for Error 1606, and the error message
continues to appear when trying to download Adobe Reader.

I haven't given up yet, because I know someone out there in the BC community has the answer.

Thanks,
smiledesigner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Your title...says "programs."

Adobe Reader is a single program and is known to have issues with updating, IME.

Have you tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling the most current version?

What other programs have you experienced problems installing...or updating?

<<When trying to install\uninstall programs I get the same error message. Also the Administrative Tools icon in the Control Panel just clicks but does not open.>>

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on your system partition?

Opinions Of Others On Such Folders

How large is C: and how much free space on it right now?

Louis

#3 smiledesigner

smiledesigner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

My Computer says C: has 153 GB free space and total size of 232 GB
Yes I uninstalled Adobe Reader, but can't re-install another copy of Adobe Reader - the Error 1606 comes up.

I also have been getting the message "this copy of Microsoft Office in not genuine" when starting Word. Office 2003 was installed a couple of years
ago when I had a new hard drive and Windows XP installed by a repair place. I haven't had any problem about a genuine copy of Office until now.

I tried to uninstall Microsoft Office so I could reinstall a new copy and key but it also gave me the message Error 1606 during the uninstall and stopped.

When I click on the folder icon %SystemDrive% on the desktop it comes up %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
Office Genuine Advantage\Data and Type Dat File 1.18 KB

Is the Error 1606 message, office not genuine message, and %systemDrive% folder icon on desktop all related to the same problem?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

I can't answer that, I've not had that situation.

Let's see what others think.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:39 AM

Try the following: You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program

#6 smiledesigner

smiledesigner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Yes, I tried that site doing both the manual ck of the registry and the "Fix it for me."
Didn't seem to have help the Error 1606 problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users