Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD hard drive problems with Ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jon-9

jon-9

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

I'm building a home/office box for standard tasks [no gaming or multimedia creation] and want to use Ubuntu as primary OS; might partition hard drive and install Win7, if necessary.

I'd assumed that any quality hard drive would work--Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung. But now I'm wondering if WD is compatible with Ubuntu. I've seen a few posts on various forums about trouble w/WD drives. Anyone know about this? Are these trouble reports just random data points, or are there compat problems w/Ubuntu+WD drives? Or, more problems than with Seagate or Samsung?

Was considering
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136073

Appreciate info--thx
jon-9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

I'm using a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB EIDE partitioned between XP, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint, and I'm having no problems with the drive. I do want to point out that I'm using ATA/IDE and not SATA, so if there are any compatibility issues with the drive, it may just be the interface, not the drive/manufacturer. However, I've read that the newer Linux kernels support SATA (in the case of Ubuntu, it's been supported since at least the 6.06 release), so you should have no problems with interface compatibility AFAIK. You may have to do a little configuring, but again, that would be for the interface, not the drive itself.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

I almost exclusively use WD drives (All IDE) since they are what I happen to have lying around. Never had any issues with WD, Seagate, or Hitachi.

If you could show us one of the posts avout an issue with a WD drive we may be able to sort out whats happening (then again it could just be randomized Disk errors)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users