Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

prgds.exe error at startup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jannoth

jannoth

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

I've been helping a friend who's PC was running slowly. They had no protection at all so suffered from multiple infections (surprise, surprise!).

I cleared the System Restore history then ran the ESET online scanner (cleared 68 infections), MBAM (cleared 70+ infections) then installed Avast Home (which found 4 more). I then set the Paging file to zero, defragemented the C:\ drive (was 34% fragmented!!) before replacing the Paging file etc and generally the system runs fine.

Problem : at bootup, as soon as the user is selected from the login screen, an error is displayed as follows:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Prgds.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and click Search.

The system specs follow below and a summary of what I've tried. Can anyone please give me a hand fixing this?

System
PC, P4 3GHz with 1GB RAM
240GB HDD with 156 GB free
XP Home with all updates & SP3 (tho Contro Panel/Performance still showing as SP2).

Already Attempted
As already outlined above, I ran XP's Cleanup feature; CCleaner for any remaining fragments (all suggestions were fixed); Hijackthis (didn't see any references to prgds); ATF Cleaner (all options were ticked); Msconfig (Diagnostic option made no difference, and have deselected almost all Startup and Services - but no change).

I now had no idea - any help please??

Thanks

J

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 May 2010 - 08:55 PM.
Move to AII ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users