Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost access to HDD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 batman03

batman03

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

URGENT HELP PLEASE,

This is my story,
I am using Windows vista on Acer aspire M5640.
Initially I had 2 partitions on my HD (WD3200AAJS-22B4A0) (C: and D:)
I was trying to partition an external HD, so I installed Partitionmagic 8.0, and when I launched it, i got a message asking me to correct an error found on the internal HD, I replied with yes. after that I realised that the second partition (D:) was lost.

When trying to recover my partition, i found "testdisk" and when i used it i lost all, after reboot I get: "missing operating system".

When I reboot from XP disk, and after loading files and drivers..., I get the error message: STOP: 0X0000007B.
I downloded the iso image of the "vista recovery disk" and then burn a CD, but when I boot from it, i have blank screen with non-stop beep.

Is there any issue to recover my hard drive?

please help me because this is the company's comuter.

thanks in advance
Best regards

Batman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

I would suggest consulting one of your companies IT professionals, PartitionMagic and Testdisk are extremely powerful and dangerous tools in the the hands of the inexperienced.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

@batman03

1.Vista os isn't compatible with Partitionmagic. It will mess up your partitions especially when it comes to dual boot system.

2.You need to borrow a windows vista DVD to repair your vista boot-loader. For more info: Here

3.After you can logon Vista, D partition is still unavailable. Please check Here .

4.If you need dual boot (with Vista Installed First), please check Here .

Edited by sundavis, 09 May 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#4 batman03

batman03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

(First, I am using french version of vista, and i am trying to translate what I see on the screen, so sometimes i don't find the right words)

I booted from vista disk,

1- when I select "repair computer", I get no Operating System to select in the window which appears;

and when i click next and select "repair startup", and after some anlysis, I get " the tool couldn't automatically repair
the computer" I click on "don't send",
2- when I click on "system restore" I see an error message: " to do system recovery offline, you have to specify the windows installation to be recovered..... type:rstrui.exe/OFFLINE:C:\Windows".

it seems that my hdd is not recognised.
Best regards

Batman

#5 batman03

batman03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

I forgot the next step I did,

when I click "Install", I get this message:" select the driver to install, a CD/DVD drive driver is missing, if u have a floppy disk, a CD/DVD or a usb disk which contains the driver connect it now"

I don't know which driver is missing??? so, I can't continue the installation process.
Best regards

Batman

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

I did the same thing with partition magic and I fixed it with ERD Commander 2005's System file repair tool. I think they changed the name to Microsoft
Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, I didn't find either one but they were free as I recall.

Anyway, you download an iso and burn to disc and then boot to the disc and you can fix the master boot record or your partition table or whatever is wrong and I was able to recover my drive completely that way.

Good luck

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

but they were free as I recall

They were until M$ bought the toolset and decided to pull them from general public use and only offer them to paid subscribers.

My references say you would need ERD 2005
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:34 AM

and when i click next and select "repair startup", and after some anlysis, I get " the tool couldn't automatically repair
the computer" I click on "don't send",

After clicking on "don't send", did you see the screen "Windows cannot repair the computer automatically"? If so, please click View advanced options for system recovery and support.

Posted Image

1.At System Recovery Options, click Command Prompt.

2.At the Command Prompt, type C:and press ENTER. (Note: ensure your vista is installed in C: drive)

3.Type bcdedit, then press ENTER

4.Under the heading Windows Boot Manager, verify "default {default}" exist. ( Note: (default} may say {current}. )

5.Type, bcdedit /delete {default}, then press ENTER.

6.Type, bootrec /rebuildbcd, then press ENTER. Answer Yes to any prompt by pressing y, then pressing ENTER.

7.Type exit, then press ENTER.

8.Click Restart.

For more info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l#advancedtools and http://www.winvistaclub.com/t34.html

Side Note: ERD Commander has different versions to deal with different kinds of Windows OS in the following:

ERD commander 2005 to restore XP, 2k, server 2003.
ERD commander 6.0 on Vista x32
ERD commander 6.0 on Vista x64
ERD commander 6.5 on Windows7 x32
ERD commander 6.5 on Windows7 x64

Edited by sundavis, 11 May 2010 - 02:47 AM.

#9 batman03

batman03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

I think my hdd is no longer recognised, i did many manipulations with some utilities in Hiren's boot CD with the assistance of an expert, but always my hdd is not recognised.

With Heiren's boot CD:
First I used a low level formatting,
when finish, I created two partitions With partition magic pro,

but when rebooting my hdd doesn't appear in My computer.

I booted from XP CD, but i still always have the BIOS nessage STOP: 0x0000007B.

so I think my hdd has to be changed.

I know that data on my hdd is lost, but my question is: is it possible to restore my hdd even empty?
Best regards

Batman

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

Maybe stop using partition magic and leave it as one partition and try to make it work that way and if you want another one later you can always resize.

#11 batman03

batman03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

I connected my hdd to anther computer,

it was recognised, I installed XP SP2 on it, and it started normally on that computer, but

when I reconnect it to my computer and boot from the hdd I get: NTDLR missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot,

when I boot from the XP CD I still get the BIOS message: STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

???
Best regards

Batman

#12 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

when I boot from the XP CD I still get the BIOS message: STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Most likely, You had a SATA HD onboard. Your XP CD didn't slipstream SATA driver on it. As such, your pc didn't recognise it.

1.Boot up with Hiren's CD, select Start MiniWindowsXP to access Hiren's desktop. Double click Windows Explorer from desktop.

2.Click (X)MiniXP in the left pane, Expand it and navigate to the following file path:

X:\i386\system32\drivers

3.Copy/paste the following two bolded files into C:\

ntldr

ntdetect.com

4.Restart pc and let me know if your pc can bootup normally.

Edited by sundavis, 11 May 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#13 batman03

batman03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

sundavis,

When I boot from Hiren's boot CD, and start MiniWindowsXP, I don't see my hdd in Mycomuter, but when i connect it to another computer, it's recognised and working normally, i reinstalled XP on it successfully and started normally on that computer.

When i reconnected it last time to my computer, I got the screen prompting to choose between starting in safe mode or starting normally...etc,
I left it start normally but i got nothing except blank screen with vertical doted white lines and the white cursor blinking on the left top corner.

but.....

I got a new problem: my USB keyboard doesn't work, so i can't boot from CD or enter setup mode, or choose safe mode

i don't know what to do.
Best regards

Batman

#14 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

Unplug your PSU( Power Supply Unit ), clean it and plug it back (make sure you remember where the plug is placed).

Otherwise, try to use a PS/2 kbd & mouse instead and check if it's working. Sometimes, that CMOS battery is dead may cause the issue.

If still no go, please go to this thread for help. You would be better served discussing this issue in the internal hardware section of this forum. Good luck. :huh:

#15 batman03

batman03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Thank you sundavism, I did as you told me and I restored the kbd and the correct display on the screen.

But the original problem still happening (hdd not recognised).
thank you for the advice, i will go to the hardware forum to look for a solution.

thank you, and thanks to all who replied and was interested in my topic here.

I will tell you when it is ok.
Best regards

Batman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users