Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google redirection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 snow0

snow0

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hi
I am currently experiencing redirections when using Google as a search engine - a list of sites appears for a given request but when I click on the link I am directed to all sorts of sites - not related - If I close the redirection, often before it loads, I can usually get to the site I want!! I am using firefox as my browser and running Windows XP. This is driving me nuts!! About a week ago a virus checker appeared which had Spyware Doctor screaming rogue and wanting me to quarantine it, which I did. I have Spyware Doctor as my virus checker but apart from the odd tracking cookie is cannot detect anything. After searching online I see that google redirection is a fairly common thing and it appears that ComboFix may be the answer. I have followed all the necessary steps in preparation and now I need some kind soul to talk me through using ComboFix and reading my logs to clean the bad guys out.
Regards
Robert

Edited by snow0, 09 May 2010 - 06:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below I will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#3 snow0

snow0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi
Thanks for your time. I have followed the steps requested and have the DDS logs on hand but when I attempt the GMER scan my computer shuts down and reboots after 30-40min. Have tried three times and can't complete a scan. When I setup the GMER scan there is already information on the log page - maybe from previous scan attempts? Before finding your site I tried many malware scanners recommended by various experts online - these include Malwarebytes, Avast, AVG, Hitman Pro and TDSSKiller. As you can tell I am very frustrated. What is my next step?
Robert

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hello,

Please copy and paste the DDS log into your next reply:

Please try to run GMER in SAFEMODE.

Now reboot into Safe Mode.
This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer
You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.
Make sure you choose the option without networking support.
Please see here for additional details.

I need the DDS log to see what we are dealing with and hopefully a GMER log also.

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#5 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 5-7 days the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding smile.gif

With Regards,
fireman4it

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#6 snow0

snow0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi Fireman
Sorry for the delay - wife in hospital - tried to run the GMER scan in safe mode but was not successful as after about 50min of scan it stopped but no information was posted on the scan page - page also very clunky with huge icons etc but would not let me resize to make viewing easier.
Here is the DDS scan

DDS (Ver_10-03-17.01) - NTFSx86
Run by snow and ang at 7:16:06.59 on Mon 10/05/2010
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_20
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.2047.1273 [GMT 9.5:30]

AV: Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {D3C23B96-C9DC-477F-8EF1-69AF17A6EFF6}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\WinAlarm\WinAlarm.exe
C:\Program Files\Activ Software\Activdriver\ActivControl2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\UVC Video Camera\UVCSti.exe
C:\Program Files\UVC Video Camera\EffectDir\UVCtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Gadwin Systems\PrintScreen\PrintScreen.exe
C:\Program Files\DS Clock\DSClock.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO -viewer-\PhAutoRun.exe
C:\Program Files\TimeLeft3\TimeLeft.exe
C:\Program Files\Activ Software\Activdriver\activmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\BDTUpdateService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\snow and ang\My Documents\Downloads\dds.scr
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = hxxp://www.adam.com.au/
BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper: {06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelper.dll
BHO: PC Tools Browser Guard BHO: {2a0f3d1b-0909-4ff4-b272-609cce6054e7} - c:\program files\spyware doctor\bdt\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
TB: PC Tools Browser Guard: {472734ea-242a-422b-adf8-83d1e48cc825} - c:\program files\spyware doctor\bdt\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
uRun: [CTFMON.EXE] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [MSMSGS] "c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
uRun: [024h Lucky Reminder] "c:\program files\024h lucky reminder\LuckyReminder.exe" /m
uRun: [Gadwin PrintScreen] c:\program files\gadwin systems\printscreen\PrintScreen.exe /nosplash
uRun: [DS Clock] "c:\program files\ds clock\DSClock.exe"
uRun: [Skype] "c:\program files\skype\phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
mRun: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
mRun: [ATIPTA] c:\program files\ati technologies\ati control panel\atiptaxx.exe
mRun: [NeroFilterCheck] c:\windows\system32\NeroCheck.exe
mRun: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\program files\adobe\reader 8.0\reader\Reader_sl.exe"
mRun: [ISTray] "c:\program files\spyware doctor\pctsTray.exe"
mRun: [LiveMonitor] c:\program files\msi\live update 3\LMonitor.exe
mRun: [WinAlarm] c:\program files\winalarm\WinAlarm.exe
mRun: [ActivControl] c:\program files\activ software\activdriver\ActivControl2.exe
mRun: [HP Software Update] c:\program files\hp\hp software update\HPWuSchd2.exe
mRun: [QuickTime Task] "c:\program files\quicktime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
mRun: [iTunesHelper] "c:\program files\itunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
mRun: [<NO NAME>]
mRun: [UVCSti] "c:\program files\uvc video camera\UVCSti.exe"
mRun: [RunUVC] "c:\program files\uvc video camera\effectdir\UVCtray.exe"
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe"
dRun: [CTFMON.EXE] c:\windows\system32\CTFMON.EXE
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\snowan~1\startm~1\programs\startup\timeleft.lnk - c:\program files\timeleft3\TimeLeft.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\hpdigi~1.lnk - c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\micros~1.lnk - c:\program files\microsoft office\office\OSA9.EXE
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\photof~1.lnk - c:\program files\panasonic\photofunstudio -viewer-\PhAutoRun.exe
IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
LSP: c:\program files\common files\pc tools\lsp\PCTLsp.dll
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
Handler: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - c:\progra~1\common~1\skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
Notify: AtiExtEvent - Ati2evxx.dll
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\snowan~1\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\f0iwxhq1.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - hxxp://www.adam.com.au/
FF - HiddenExtension: Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant: {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} - c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v3.5\windows presentation foundation\dotnetassistantextension\
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0014-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0015-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0019-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - HiddenExtension: Java Console: No Registry Reference - c:\program files\mozilla firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

---- FIREFOX POLICIES ----
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("ui.use_native_colors", true);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("ui.use_native_popup_windows", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.enable_click_image_resizing", true);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("accessibility.browsewithcaret_shortcut.enabled", true);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("javascript.options.mem.high_water_mark", 32);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("javascript.options.mem.gc_frequency", 1600);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("network.auth.force-generic-ntlm", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("svg.smil.enabled", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("ui.trackpoint_hack.enabled", -1);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.debug", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.agedWeight", 2);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.bucketSize", 1);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.maxTimeGroupings", 25);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.timeGroupingSize", 604800);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.boundaryWeight", 25);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("browser.formfill.prefixWeight", 5);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("html5.enable", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.allow_unrestricted_renego_everywhere__temporarily_available_pref", true);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.renego_unrestricted_hosts", "");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.treat_unsafe_negotiation_as_broken", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.require_safe_negotiation", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl3.rsa_seed_sha", true);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox-branding.js - pref("app.update.download.backgroundInterval", 600);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox-branding.js - pref("app.update.url.manual", "http://www.firefox.com");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox-branding.js - pref("browser.search.param.yahoo-fr-ja", "mozff");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("extensions.{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.name", "chrome://browser/locale/browser.properties");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("extensions.{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.description", "chrome://browser/locale/browser.properties");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("xpinstall.whitelist.add", "addons.mozilla.org");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("xpinstall.whitelist.add.36", "getpersonas.com");
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("lightweightThemes.update.enabled", true);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("browser.allTabs.previews", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("plugins.hide_infobar_for_outdated_plugin", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("plugins.update.notifyUser", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("toolbar.customization.usesheet", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("browser.taskbar.previews.enable", false);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("browser.taskbar.previews.max", 20);
c:\program files\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("browser.taskbar.previews.cachetime", 20);

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

=============== Created Last 30 ================

==================== Find3M ====================

============= FINISH: 7:21:21.90 ===============
Attached File  Attach.txt   994bytes   7 downloads

#7 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hello,

Sorry to hear your wife is in the hospital hope all is well.

Download and Run RKill
    Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Install Recovery Console and Run ComboFix

This tool is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame me or ComboFix.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.
  • Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

• Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.
ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may cause it to stall.

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Things to include in your next reply:
Combofix.txt
checkup.txt
How is your machine running?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#8 snow0

snow0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

No problem with RKill but when I download ComboFix it downloads as combofix(2) and when I attempt to run it I get a message "You cannot rename combofix as combofix(2) please use another name made up of alphanumeric characters
Robert

#9 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Download and Rename Combofix

This tool is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame me or ComboFix.

Download Combofix from any of the links below. You must rename it 1234.scr before saving it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on 1234.scr & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.
  • Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

• Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt so we can continue cleaning the system.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#10 snow0

snow0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

As requested
ComboFix 10-05-12.03 - snow and ang 14/05/2010 7:54.1.1 - x86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.2047.1503 [GMT 9.5:30]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\My Documents\Downloads\1234.scr.exe
AV: Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus *On-access scanning disabled* (Updated) {D3C23B96-C9DC-477F-8EF1-69AF17A6EFF6}

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2010-04-13 to 2010-05-13 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2010-05-08 07:45 . 2010-05-08 07:45 15944 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\hitmanpro35.sys
2010-05-08 07:45 . 2010-05-08 07:45 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Hitman Pro
2010-05-08 07:45 . 2010-05-08 07:45 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Hitman Pro 3.5
2010-05-08 00:18 . 2010-05-08 00:18 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Alwil Software
2010-05-08 00:18 . 2010-05-08 00:18 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software
2010-05-07 23:28 . 2010-05-07 23:28 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2010-05-07 23:28 . 2010-05-07 23:28 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2010-05-06 07:34 . 2010-02-01 23:43 59664 --s-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\TfSysMon.sys
2010-05-06 07:34 . 2010-02-01 23:43 51984 --s-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\TfFsMon.sys
2010-05-06 07:34 . 2010-02-01 23:43 33552 --s-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\TfNetMon.sys
2010-05-04 05:13 . 2010-05-04 05:13 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\vlc
2010-04-28 23:30 . 2010-04-28 23:30 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\MSECache
2010-04-16 23:28 . 2010-04-12 07:59 411368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2010-05-13 22:29 . 2009-09-20 07:10 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\Skype
2010-05-13 22:20 . 2009-04-28 06:33 -------- d---a-w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP
2010-05-13 22:19 . 2009-04-29 02:53 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Spyware Doctor
2010-05-13 21:59 . 2009-04-28 05:25 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\skypePM
2010-05-13 21:59 . 2009-05-20 08:00 63488 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Activ Software\ActivApplications\ActivFocusHook.dll
2010-05-13 10:51 . 2009-04-28 06:03 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\HP
2010-05-13 10:35 . 2009-04-28 04:49 22600 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Local Settings\Application Data\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT
2010-05-09 10:23 . 2010-05-09 10:23 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Cobian Backup 8
2010-05-04 04:32 . 2009-05-13 23:40 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\dvdcss
2010-05-02 05:31 . 2009-10-12 06:41 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\HpUpdate
2010-04-16 23:28 . 2009-05-09 08:27 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Java
2010-04-12 03:16 . 2009-06-25 00:16 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Google
2010-04-09 21:12 . 2009-05-14 00:37 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\WinAlarm
2010-04-08 04:59 . 2009-04-29 02:53 63360 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\pctplsg.sys
2010-04-02 08:51 . 2010-04-02 08:51 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Common Files\Java
2010-03-29 00:36 . 2009-04-29 02:54 218592 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\PCTCore.sys
2010-03-24 20:18 . 2010-03-24 20:18 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Common Files\Skype

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Gadwin PrintScreen"="c:\program files\Gadwin Systems\PrintScreen\PrintScreen.exe" [2008-12-09 495616]
"DS Clock"="c:\program files\DS Clock\DSClock.exe" [2008-06-20 577606]
"Skype"="c:\program files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" [2010-03-09 26100520]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ATIPTA"="c:\program files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe" [2004-02-24 335872]
"NeroFilterCheck"="c:\windows\system32\NeroCheck.exe" [2001-07-09 155648]
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"="c:\program files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe" [2008-10-14 39792]
"LiveMonitor"="c:\program files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe" [2009-02-24 498688]
"WinAlarm"="c:\program files\WinAlarm\WinAlarm.exe" [2007-12-26 353280]
"ActivControl"="c:\program files\Activ Software\Activdriver\ActivControl2.exe" [2009-01-20 1074688]
"HP Software Update"="c:\program files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" [2007-05-08 54840]
"QuickTime Task"="c:\program files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" [2009-05-26 413696]
"iTunesHelper"="c:\program files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe" [2009-05-30 292136]
"UVCSti"="c:\program files\UVC Video Camera\UVCSti.exe" [2008-08-01 245760]
"RunUVC"="c:\program files\UVC Video Camera\EffectDir\UVCtray.exe" [2008-08-01 7540736]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="c:\program files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe" [2010-02-18 248040]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CTFMON.EXE"="c:\windows\system32\CTFMON.EXE" [2004-08-04 15360]

c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
TimeLeft.lnk - c:\program files\TimeLeft3\TimeLeft.exe [2009-7-14 1975480]

c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk - c:\program files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe [2005-5-11 282624]
Microsoft Office.lnk - c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE [1999-2-18 65588]
PHOTOfunSTUDIO -viewer-.lnk - c:\program files\Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO -viewer-\PhAutoRun.exe [2009-4-28 40960]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sdauxservice]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sdcoreservice]
@=""

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dpvsetup.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Skype\\Plugin Manager\\skypePM.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Skype\\Phone\\Skype.exe"=

R0 PCTCore;PCTools KDS;c:\windows\system32\drivers\PCTCore.sys [29/04/2009 12:24 PM 218592]
R0 TfFsMon;TfFsMon;c:\windows\system32\drivers\TfFsMon.sys [6/05/2010 5:04 PM 51984]
R0 TfSysMon;TfSysMon;c:\windows\system32\drivers\TfSysMon.sys [6/05/2010 5:04 PM 59664]
R1 pctgntdi;pctgntdi;c:\windows\system32\drivers\pctgntdi.sys [29/04/2009 12:24 PM 233136]
R2 Browser Defender Update Service;Browser Defender Update Service;c:\program files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\BDTUpdateService.exe [12/01/2010 9:20 PM 112592]
R3 ActivHidSerMini;Promethean Serial Board Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\activhidsermini.sys [17/12/2008 9:42 AM 55424]
R3 prmvmouse;Promethean HID Mouse Service;c:\windows\system32\drivers\activmouse.sys [20/05/2009 5:29 PM 4352]
R3 TfNetMon;TfNetMon;c:\windows\system32\drivers\TfNetMon.sys [6/05/2010 5:04 PM 33552]
S2 gupdate1c9f52a2d39df2e;Google Update Service (gupdate1c9f52a2d39df2e);c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [25/06/2009 9:46 AM 133104]
S3 Cam3820;Cam3820 PC Camera Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\cam3820a.sys [1/08/2008 1:39 PM 239616]
S3 pctplsg;pctplsg;c:\windows\system32\drivers\pctplsg.sys [29/04/2009 12:23 PM 63360]
S3 sdAuxService;PC Tools Auxiliary Service;c:\program files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe [29/04/2009 12:23 PM 366840]
S3 ThreatFire;ThreatFire;c:\program files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe service --> c:\program files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe service [?]
Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder

2010-05-08 c:\windows\Tasks\AppleSoftwareUpdate.job
- c:\program files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe [2008-07-30 03:04]

2010-05-13 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job
- c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2009-06-25 00:16]

2010-05-13 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job
- c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2009-06-25 00:16]
------- Supplementary Scan -------
uStart Page = hxxp://www.adam.com.au/
LSP: c:\program files\Common Files\PC Tools\Lsp\PCTLsp.dll
FF - ProfilePath - c:\documents and settings\snow and ang\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\f0iwxhq1.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - hxxp://www.adam.com.au/
FF - plugin: c:\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\npgeplugin.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\Google\Update\1.2.183.23\npGoogleOneClick8.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdeployJava1.dll
FF - HiddenExtension: Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant: {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} - c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension\

---- FIREFOX POLICIES ----
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("ui.use_native_colors", true);
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("network.auth.force-generic-ntlm", false);
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\all.js - pref("svg.smil.enabled", false);
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.allow_unrestricted_renego_everywhere__temporarily_available_pref", true);
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.renego_unrestricted_hosts", "");
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.treat_unsafe_negotiation_as_broken", false);
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\security-prefs.js - pref("security.ssl.require_safe_negotiation", false);
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("extensions.{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.name", "chrome://browser/locale/browser.properties");
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("extensions.{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.description", "chrome://browser/locale/browser.properties");
c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js - pref("plugins.update.notifyUser", false);
- - - - ORPHANS REMOVED - - - -

HKCU-Run-024h Lucky Reminder - c:\program files\024h Lucky Reminder\LuckyReminder.exe
HKLM-Run-Cmaudio - cmicnfg.cpl
SafeBoot-klmdb.sys
AddRemove-SAMSUNG Mobile Modem - c:\windows\system32\Samsung_USB_Drivers\3\SSCDUninstall.exe
AddRemove-Samsung Mobile phone USB driver - c:\windows\system32\Samsung_USB_Drivers\5\SSSDUninstall.exe

catchme 0.3.1398 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2010-05-14 07:59
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden autostart entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

--------------------- DLLs Loaded Under Running Processes ---------------------

- - - - - - - > 'winlogon.exe'(660)
c:\program files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFMon.dll
c:\program files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFRK.dll

- - - - - - - > 'lsass.exe'(716)
c:\program files\Common Files\PC Tools\Lsp\PCTLsp.dll

- - - - - - - > 'explorer.exe'(2636)
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\ACTIV Software\ActivApplications\ActivFocusHook.dll
c:\windows\system32\msi.dll
c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
c:\windows\system32\PortableDeviceTypes.dll
c:\windows\system32\PortableDeviceApi.dll
Completion time: 2010-05-14 08:02:00
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2010-05-13 22:31

Pre-Run: 20,486,504,448 bytes free
Post-Run: 22,063,153,152 bytes free

WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

- - End Of File - - 34CC95712767163A0AFDD3F55E460FF6
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.4
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Out of date service pack!!
Internet Explorer 6 Out of date!
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Spyware Doctor 7.0
Java™ 6 Update 20
Adobe Flash Player 9 (Out of date Flash Player installed!)
Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2
Adobe Reader 8.1.6
Out of date Adobe Reader installed!
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.3)
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

````````````````````````````````
DNS Vulnerability Check:

``````````End of Log````````````

#11 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hello,

Please download maxlook, saving the file to your desktop.
Double click maxlook.exe to run it. Note - you must run it only once!
As instructed when the tool runs, restart the computer and logon to the Recovery Console.
Execute the following bolded command at the x:\windows> prompt <--- the red x represents your operating system drive letter, usually C

batch look.bat

You will see 1 file copied many times then return to the x:\windows> prompt.
Type Exit to restart your computer then logon in normal mode.

Once fully booted
  • Click on start
  • select Run...
  • enter "%userprofile%\Desktop\maxlook.exe" -sig and hit enter
  • a blue window will open. Please make sure that you are connected to the internet while the blue window is open.
  • Once it is finished a log file will open. Please save that log and post the content in your next reply.
If you do not have the run-command in your Start menu:
Please right click on your taskbar, select Properties, select the Start Menu tab, click on Customize and tick the Display Run checkbox and click OK.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#12 snow0

snow0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I downloaded and opened maxlook - it ran and said to exit, restart and log onto recovery console - how do I find the console to log on to?

#13 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

Right at splash screen it will give you 2 options to boot into

1. WindowsXp Home Edition
2 Recovery Console

Choose Recovery console and follow the directions I gave you.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#14 snow0

snow0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:39 PM

sorry to be so thick but by splash screen do you mean startup. It happens so fast I don't see any options

#15 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

Hello,

yes for instance,

At start up mine goes to Hp logo then give me an option real quick to choose which system to log onto Windows Home Edition or Recovery Console. You would Choose recovery console.

Do you have a WindowsXp disk?

Also try and run GMER again in SAFEMODE with just the Sections And Files checked

Edited by fireman4it, 13 May 2010 - 11:06 PM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users