Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

completely crashed system...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sampson

sampson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:08 AM

o.k., i'm giving this a try. my daughter's computer has been REALLY down for about a month now, nothing but black screen to reboot,safe,last configuration, etc. none do anything but repeat the screen or randamly go to the HP start screen. when i boot with the recovery console disc, it reaches the console and asks me to choose which do i want, install, R for repair, you know. then it will start the process over. i do find that it's missing systemconfig32, AND error code 14. setup cannot contnue when i try to load the compaq recovery disks. lately filei386halaacpi.dll COULD NOT BE LOADED has shown up. this is recent, though. i broke down and spent $60 with HP. WHAT A DOPE! don't think he knew any more that ME, and i know very little. lots of help would be greately appreciated-i've been out of work with a double back fusion for 6 yrs., it failed and i cannot work. gots little cash for circuit city! i've been reading the site for 4 days solid or until the wife yells too much to stand.

thanks for all the info already, it's been quite helpful.

sampson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

Lets try some troubleshooting and see if it could be a hardware issue.

If you are comfortable working inside the computer, shutdown the computer, open the side of the case, remove all PCI cards except the Video Card if it is PCI or AGP, unplug all hardware from the computer except the Keyboard, Mouse, & Monitor, then boot and see if the same problem happens.

Post back with the exact error messages.

#3 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

Now, it may be a hardware problem, so if you do feel 'comfortable', check as advised. However, you say the system has degraded over the period of a month...that doesn't indicate a hardware issue (they tend to just snap), aside from maybe a bad hard drive. But don't worry about that right now.

Let's try some simple things just to see if it is a software issue and if we can fix it :thumbsup: At the least, we can exclude some things. Now, to keep it simple, and I'm not going to charge you $xx..... please do the following:

Go to recovery console,
and do a checkdisk.

To go to recovery console:
*Boot up from WinXP CD
*When the setup is loaded, press "r" to enter recovery console
*Press 1 for the setup number then hit ENTER
*Enter the Administrative password

To do a check disk:
*At the screen type this: "chkdsk X: /F" where "X" is your drive letter.

If you have 'any' problems in performing the instructions or encounter any problems, let me know. But hopefully, this should solve the problem allowing you to boot properly. If not, we'll ove on, but I will help you solve it.

Let me know how you get on :flowers:

Big Smiles

HS

#4 chiggins

chiggins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

I think you should begin with River Rat's schedule.

The same thing happened to me recently. I spent all day trying to find the key which would enable me to get to Safe Boot. Hitting the keyboard all over as fast as possible (this was a fast loading computer) I finally must have hit the right key. Recently, I have learned that this might be F8. I was able to boot to safe boot and use a last known good configuration. If you are unable to get to safe boot, and I think that is what you were saying, carry on with River Rat. If you can get to Safe Boot, see if you can't boot that up and then use a last known good configuration once you are there.

#5 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hi there,

Also, the following link is specific to your current issue the missing Sys Config32 file:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

Let us know if that helps :thumbsup:

Big Smiles

HS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users