Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hi_how_ya_doing2002

hi_how_ya_doing2002

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hey everyone!

So i'm currently renting a room and the landlord said internet was included from her wireless router... which it is, to an extent.

Equipment:
I'm using my custom built (by me) computer with a TrendNet wireless card running XP pro
Landlord uses a mini mac or whatever the hell that thing is
I didn't get a good look at the router she had but it was a Dlink di-### (I think it's a 624 but not sure)
I'm sure there's more info. that would help so just ask and I will tell, if I know it

Problem:
Obviously it's not working as it should or I wouldn't be here...
I entered the SSID, hex code, 64 bit, wep, channel 6 and I almost always have 80% signal strength and link quality but the internet keeps cutting out or only working in short bursts. I have also tried it with my iPod touch and it can find the router and connect to it but when I try to load a web page it says it isn't connected to the internet.

Here is the kicker... When she leaves, and I assume she turns off her computer, my internet works almost perfectly but when she comes home my net slows to a crawl and starts its usual cutting out.

I have asked a friend about this and he says some routers only allow one computer to connect at a time or something along those lines? Is that possible? If indeed it sounds like a router problem could anyone suggest a good wireless router that is mac/pc compatible and allows more than 1 computer on at a time?

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:09 AM

You're friend is wrong. You and she can connect at the same time, your connection just sucks. If I had to guess she is DLing something or watching TV on it. Its not your equipment so there is little you can do.

You do pay rent so you could say something. I don't know your situation so follow that advice as you see fit. But if I am paying someone for something its gonna work right or I'm not paying for it. Hence I like faceless rental companies lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 SergeantGardner

SergeantGardner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

A router can be configured to allow a maximum number of connections, but given you situation that situation seems quite unlikely. Maybe her mac mini is starting an Ad-Hoc network that is either causing interference of some kind. Downloading or watching TV would not cause connection problems, it would cause bandwidth problems. If you can connect while she is home, try to run www.pingtest.net

Possible cause is having upnp disabled

try updating firmware for router and enabling upnp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users