There's a pretty good chance that your battery has shorted out, because of the water spill. The way it usually works with electronics is that it's never a good idea to start the device after a spill. If the device is on during the spill, turn it completely off right away and remove all power sources. You need to get it as dry as possible (using a hair dryer can speed it up).
If water spills in an electronic device while it is off, drying it really well before starting it again will most likely prevent any noticeable issues. However, on a chemical level, the elements inside the water CAN damage the electronic device even after being dried completely; this is one of the downfalls of having spilled something in the device.
Again, remove all power sources ASAP and get the device as dry as possible.
In your situation, since you've already experience the possibility that the battery has been destroyed, consider whether or not your warranty or service plan (if it is still valid) will cover this. If you have some sort of accident forgiveness plan, it will most likely work in this case. In the case that you don't have a service plan or warranty, you will have to replace the battery with your own money. Go to the manufacturer's website, or simply call them, and provide them with the part number of the previous battery (or simply provide the P/N and/or S/N of the computer itself).
I hope this reply was somewhat of an assistance to you. Good luck!
Edited by Mr.VisualBasic, 09 May 2010 - 12:08 PM.