Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery broken from water spill? Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sunnysky

sunnysky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Another problem resulting from a water spill on my laptop...my laptop's battery doesn't work! If I put the battery in, nothing happens. No indicator lights, no humming, no boot, 100% silence. However, by connecting the AC power cord, I was able to get the comp to boot with green indicator lights.

Does this mean my battery is broken now? Or does this mean something's broken inside the computer, preventing the computer from connecting to the battery? When I spilled the water, the battery got wet, and so did the area near the battery. Before I water spill, my battery was perfect, lasting over 3 hrs.

Note: this happened days ago, so everything should be dry by now

Any ideas? thanks

Edited by sunnysky, 08 May 2010 - 11:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:08 AM

There's a pretty good chance that your battery has shorted out, because of the water spill. The way it usually works with electronics is that it's never a good idea to start the device after a spill. If the device is on during the spill, turn it completely off right away and remove all power sources. You need to get it as dry as possible (using a hair dryer can speed it up).

If water spills in an electronic device while it is off, drying it really well before starting it again will most likely prevent any noticeable issues. However, on a chemical level, the elements inside the water CAN damage the electronic device even after being dried completely; this is one of the downfalls of having spilled something in the device.

Again, remove all power sources ASAP and get the device as dry as possible.

In your situation, since you've already experience the possibility that the battery has been destroyed, consider whether or not your warranty or service plan (if it is still valid) will cover this. If you have some sort of accident forgiveness plan, it will most likely work in this case. In the case that you don't have a service plan or warranty, you will have to replace the battery with your own money. Go to the manufacturer's website, or simply call them, and provide them with the part number of the previous battery (or simply provide the P/N and/or S/N of the computer itself).

I hope this reply was somewhat of an assistance to you. Good luck!

Edited by Mr.VisualBasic, 09 May 2010 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users