Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very dark laptop screen & faint images...help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sunnysky

sunnysky

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

After I spilled water on my relatively new laptop several days ago, I thought killed my computer and was about to suffer major depression. Each time I tried booting it, the power light and cpu light would come on, but the screen was black. Today, interestingly, I discovered the screen some very faint images, even though it was still almost black. I shone a lamp close to the screen and I was able to see slightly better--I was able to click around, log in, and access files as normal. I also attached an external monitor, which worked. My files and stuff are all there!

So my comp is not dead! But...what should I do about the dark screen? I did some research and the 2 causes of dark screens are: broken inverter and broken CFFL bulb. Which one do you think is broken in my case? Is it difficult and costly to repair in a shop? Do you think I can repair it myself, without putting myself--or the computer--in too much danger? (I've next to no experience dealing with computer hardware and stuff, but I'm willing to learn).

Thanks for any help!

Edited by sunnysky, 08 May 2010 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

Ok, first of all unless you are an actual technician, do NOT attempt to repair the system yourself. Consider whether or not you have a valid warranty or service plan that might repair the system for you. In most cases, the only way a service plan will cover a situation like this (since it is your fault) would be some sort of accident forgiveness plan (which would allow you to have the machine repaired by the company free of charge).

As far as what is wrong, it sounds like you may have shorted something out. First of all, make certain that ALL of your important files are backed up. Just because the system is working right now doesn't mean it will continue to work later; prepare for the worst. Next, make certain that the dimness of the screen isn't the brightness setting, which can usually be adjusted using your keyboard.

If this doesn't fix the issue, your best bet is to consult your warranty, service plan, or local repair guy.

Again, let me reiterate the idea that you should NOT attempt to repair the machine yourself without proper technical skills; you'll probably make matters worse.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users