Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Office Jet 4710 All-in-One Printer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

I recently acquired a printer that i was told if i could fix it i could keep it. I assumed that the problem was a simple piece of paper in the wrong place or maybe incorrectly installed print cartridges. Well after an hour I decided it was neither of those but a different unknown problem. So i checked the instruction manual that came with it, no help there. Decided to check the HP help website, Found a page with the exact error message i received which was, "Carriage Jam, open printer are clear carriage jam, then press OK." I did everything on that page to no avail. I then searched a bit on bing and found some forums where someone was having the same problem. I followed the instructions on that page, which was to open the printer area and clean the excess ink from the cartridge area and spray some WD-40 on the gears. This also didn't work. I'm at a loss to what to try next, if I can't get it fixed then its off to the dump to be recycled. I was hoping someone hear could help me. I've added some videos and pictures of the issue.

Carriage with Cartridge
Carriage without catridge
Posted Image Printer Cartridges
Posted Image Another of the Cartridges
Posted Image Inside of Printer
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

OK trouble shooting printers can be fun.

You failed to explain exactly what is and what isn't happening with this printer.

So I'll throw some questions at you along with some solutions and see where we end up.

Does the lights on the printer light up at all? If your answer is yes, then are they just flashing an error code at you?

Did you check the ribbon wires located inside the printer to make sure that they are fully pushed into their modular mating slots?

Is power making it into the printer? Could be faulty power jack on printer, bad DC power plug on power supply, faulty power supply or faulty AC power plug.

Sometimes those generic cartridges can cause problems, or one of the cartridges is faulty and causing the error. I know its expensive to buy cartridges only to find the device is shot, but that might be the answer.

Check the printer for things like paper clips, pencils, coins etc. There might be something in there you are not seeing.

Make sure the printer cable is in OK shape as well.

Try those and let us know if any of these suggestions have helped.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

1) The power button lights up (so that answers the question if the printer is getting power or not), at first the display screen shows its "loading bar" and then once the printer has started up, a Orange/Red Exclamation point flashes and the display screen says "Carriage Jam. Open Door, clear carriage jam, and then press OK to continue. I've pressed okay and it does the same things as in the video. And then gives me the error message again.
2) Not sure exactly what he Ribbon Wires and Modular Mating Slots are, but nothing looks out of place.
3) Tried using brand new HP printer cartridges, but it did not help.
4) I've checked the printer for paper and other assorted items that could jam it, but have found nothing.
5) I'm confused on what you mean by printer cable. If that is the part of it that plugs into a computer, then i am unaware of its condition. Since i have not plugged it into the computer, just turned it on.

If it matters the printer has wireless capability (that's why i didn't plug it into the computer in the first place)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

OK I wasn't sure if you were using its wireless capabilities or not, Thanks for your reply because that clears that part of the mystery up.

There is a lever inside a printer, it is a tiny micro switch, that sits just off the paper track, that detects a jam when it is pressed.

However, since I have not looked at this 3 in one unit's service manual as of yet, yours might have a laser/sensor trigger that detects a paper jam.

If you could hang in there, a bit, I will try locating a service manual that you can download at your end, to help you better service this 3 in one device. :thumbsup:

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

That model number you have in your title Office Jet 4710 all-in-one printer, is the numbers 4710 correct?

#6 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Oh whoops, its actually 7410.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

Oh whoops, its actually 7410.

Thank you it drove me crazy trying to find a 4710 when all that kept popping up was a 7400 series or a 7410 model number. :thumbsup:

I'll try to locate a service manual for you, if there is one available, that shows a schematic break-down of the printer's inner components.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

First thing I am pointing you towards is a PDF version of your a-i-o 7410 Owners manual. Note there is also another version with the prefix xi

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00235090.pdf This will at least for now give you something to work with in the meantime, just in case you didn't get the manual with this 3 in 1 device.

Here is the main page for the All-IN-ONE 7410 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...;submit=Go%20»

Here is the main page for the ALL-IN-ONE 7410xi model http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...;submit=Go%20»

Hang in there, I am still working on finding a service manual for you as well.

#9 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

It isnt the xi model, thanks for checking though. I do have the manual, and i looked through all the trouble shooting and nothing in there helped me solve my problem. I decided to do another check for any paper inside the printer, except this time be more thorough. When i originally looked jammed paper i did find some, in the same area i found a loose piece of paper. So currently i am looking for paper in every single crevice again. Also you said, "There is a lever inside a printer, it is a tiny micro switch, that sits just off the paper track, that detects a jam when it is pressed." Im not sure what you mean by paper track, but i looked in the trays and couldn't find any sort of lever. By the way thanks so much for all your help.

#10 jbayko

jbayko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

Wait MrBruce, please come back...I have the same issue "carriage jam" error with my 7410xi. I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps to no avail. There doesn't seem to be any paper stuck in the machine at all. Even though I bought this printer years ago and it is out of warranty, I havent' used it very much, so I would be very upset if I had to buy a replacement.

Please help.

Jeff

#11 pcprowe

pcprowe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

The 7410 has a major issue. If you do a google search for something like "7410 cartridge error" or something like that you'll see what I mean. Long story short, there is a major defect w/these printers. There is a little metal "clip" within the cartridge holder that comes loose. When it does, it ends up puncturing the data ribbon (or whatever it's called) that is needed to "read" the cartridge. From your pics above, if you were to remove the cartridges, you may see what I'm talking about. If your ribbon has the tell tell holes in it, that is the problem.. From what I understand HP was replacing these but that ended back in '08. Im in the process of trying to order a replacement carriage for the one I have, to see if that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users