Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up problem after computer enters sleep mode or is shut down

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 xf89

xf89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hi!

I'm new here and I hope I can explain my problem so you can understand. Sometimes I'm not the greatest at explaining things. :-/

I have a Gateway GT5662, with 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed, and lately I've been having problems when it goes into sleep mode or I shut it down. I usually just leave the computer on and it'll go into sleep mode on it's own after awhile. Well, when I come back to it after a few hours, it won't wake up. It'll just be a black screen, won't respond to any keys or mouse clicks(yes, the monitor is on). So, I end up having to shut it down and start it back up manually(with the power button). When it starts back up, the Gateway logo comes on, but then it goes to a black screen and says something about an API or ATI error and then says press any key to boot from CD. When I ignore that, it tells me to restart by hitting ctrl-alt-delete. Well, when I do that, the whole process starts all over. The first time it happened to me was a little over a week ago. I kept hitting ctrl-alt-delete and eventually this Windows Vista Start-up Repair came on and I ran it. Computer booted up fine. Next time it happened, the System Repair didn't come on, but I put the Recovery Disk in and ran it from there. Well, tonight when it happened, we put the Recovery Disk in and the CD-Rom started loading it(with the white bar on the bottom) and then another bar came up with Microsoft Corporation underneath it, which I believe happens everytime it boots up the computer. But it just froze there and the CD Rom quit running. I let it go for about a half-hour or so and nothing. So it wouldn't go to the Install screen to use System Repair or to Reformat it. Now here's the weird part...my husband restarted the computer with the power button, didn't hit any keys and all the sudden it started up to my screen saver, as if nothing happened!?! I've currently adjusted the settings so that the computer cannot go into sleep mode. My friend, who referred me to this site, suggested that I turn off the screen saver, too. Anyway, would this be an operating system error or a hardware problem? I am clueless. I used to build computers from scratch, but after Windows 98, I gave up.

Thanks for any help in advance. I really do appreciate it.

xf89

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users