Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2003 Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:20 AM

Automatic updated keeps badgering me to install Office 2003 Service Pack 2

Numerous attempts to install fails. All previous updates to MS Office and Windows have been install successfully. It's only SP2 that has caused a problem.

Here is the description:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Office: MS Office 2003 Basic (Word, Excel, Outlook)
MS FrontPage 2003
MS Access 2000
MS PowerPoint 2000

(I have the original CDs and product keys - so that is not the problem.)

I did the following:

Attempts to install from Auto Update fails.

Downloaded and installed Windows Installer (3.1.4000.2435) and attempted to install SP2 again. It failed.

Downloaded the following file from the Microsoft Web site: Office2003SP2-KB887616-Client-ENU.exe (50,536KB)and again attempted to install. The install proceedes and asks for the Office 2003 Basic CD and after a time bubbling away asks for the FrontPage 2003 CD. Shortly afterwords the message: "The Update Cannot Be Installed" is displayed.

Downloaded the following file from the Microsoft Web site: Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe (104,293KB) and again attempted to install. This install bombs out very quickly with the message: "The Update Cannot Be Installed".

Don't know what to do next.

I've never had this problem before with updates, and I'm sure other forum users have or are experiencing the same problem.

Many thanks,

PeterB
PeterB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

Could this be a firewall issue?

Do you have SP2 installed in Windows? (Windows SP2 includes a firewall). To check: Start > right click on My Computer > Properties

Under Microsoft Windows Professional and version number it will say SP2 if you do have it installed. If so:

Disable your firewall and try again.

Start > Control Panel > Security Center

Scroll down and click on Windows Firewall. Turn off.

Funny, I just downloaded and installed this very update this morning and had no problems. I even did it without the using the original Office 2003 disks. And I did it with my firewall enabled. So, perhaps the firewall is not the issue, but it worth a try.

That reminds me: When I was downloading the Office Update, I noticed a note on the right side of the webpage that said a certain update had to be installed BEFORE the Office SP2 update will install. Perhaps this is the issue? Go back to the update page and look at the right hand column for that link for more info.

Hope these ideas help.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:03 AM

Albert,

Many thanks. I suspected it might be a firewall. But that's not the answer.

I tried installing with the following settings:

Windows firewall is turned off. (In fact I don't use the Windows Firewall)
I use ZoneAlarm. I turned it off.
I uninstalled Spybot Search & Destroy
All previous Windows and Office updates have been installed.

I tried installing with the above settings and still got the error messages advising the the update cannot be installed.

Haven't a clue what's wrong. The PC, which is running Windows XP Pro and has 1GB of RAM is working perfectly.

PeterB
PeterB

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

Well Peter, great minds think alike!

Check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498

There might be an answer there. Let us know.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

If you have Windows XP SP2 installed Microsoft will give you free support as this may be a result of having a makfunction caused by SP 2.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#6 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

Albert,

I checked out the following:

[http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498]

I've no problem downloading the updates. I just can't install them.

I followed the procedure in KB304498.

Deleted the contents of Internet Explorer cache folder, cookies, history and operating system temp folder.

Installed MS Windows Script 5.6 for XP.

I then attempted to install the updates. No luck - both files (Office2003SP2-KB887616-Client-ENU.exe and Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe) gave the same error message.

I then deleted Offfice Update detection folder (C:\Program Files\OfficeUpdate11)

Turned off ZoneAlarm, Spybot and everything associated with it.

I went to Add/Remove programs and repaired the installation of MS Office Basic 2003.

I tried again to install SP2 - using both the the update files - and again got the error message to the effect: The Update Cannot Be Installed".

Enthusiast refered me to a MS Support site. I couldn't figure out how to contact Microsoft from where I'm located. They don't make it easy.

I'm rapidly running out of options.

Again, thanks to all.

PeterB
PeterB

#7 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 02:33 AM

Albert,

Problem is solved - after many hours!

The solution is here: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884298

This article explains how to: Re-create the path of the original installation source in the registry. It's Step 2 in Article ID: 884298.

Once I'd done this the Office Service Pack 2 installed.

During the installation Spybot Search & Destroy and ZoneAlarm were running. Neither caused a problem.

Hope this is of help to some other forum members.

Cheers.

PeterB
PeterB

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:49 AM

Problem is solved - after many hours!

Glad to hear it!

So, just to be clear, had SP1 installed correctly? Or not?

Because if it had not installed correctly, my understanding is that SP2 will not install in Office. SP1 must be installed correctly first.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:32 AM

Albert,

Yes, you're correct. SP1 must be installed before SP2. I had already installed SP1 some time ago and all other Windows and Office updates. I've Auto Update enabled and I occasionally manually check to see what's on the Microsoft server. Never had a problem until I encountered SP2, which Auto Update picked up.

The fix I mailed you about (my last message) fixed the problem and SP2 installed OK. I've checked the listing of installed updated and SP1 and SP2 are both on the list.

Don't know what caused the problem. It might be one or other of the following.

I occasionally use the reg cleaner in Advanced System Optimizer (You'll find it at www.systweak.com). I've never had a problem with it. It might, just might, have removed a installation source in the registry. Very strange if it did, as I've been using it for 2 or 3 years and it never caused a problem. But it's one of the few things I can think of. Maybe the innards of SP2 checks for a key and SP1 doesn't.

Secondly, I have an old copy of PowerPoint 2000 and Access 2000 on this machine. Either one of these might have screwed up the Office Basic 2003 installation. They were both installed after Office 2003. I initially thought one or other of these were blocking the Office 2003 SP2 and went to the Add/Remove Programs to uninstall them. Neither were listed - which I thought strange. They are on the PC though and work perfectly. I've just checked!

Don't know what else I can say. Again, many thanks for your help.

The bleepingcomputer is a fantastic forum.

Regards,

PeterB
PeterB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users