Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Removing Virus(Malware Doctor)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hybridofdoom

Hybridofdoom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

During my vacation in Alabama my computer became infected with a virus. I have 3 sides on my computer, one for my mother, one for my brother, and one for me. Each side has administrator. We allow guests to use my little brother's account. My little brother went with me on vacation.

So the virus only appears on my little brother's account and I highly suspect my mom is trying to protect someone from getting in trouble, and trying to blame it on, "Leaving the computer running and my side not going to user select after screen saver." The virus had first shown itself on 5/5/10, I know this because I went searching by, "date modified" and had shown a huge increase in items modified that day.

Now this virus wouldn't be too much of a problem for me to handle on my own if it didn't freeze my computer every 2-5 minutes on any side I went on. I even created a dummy account which didn't help much. I've been trying for a day of trying to figure out how the virus works so I can access the internet for longer periods of time.

I use Mozilla with Noscript and so far have found that it wont allow me to open Firefox if I have Skype Application enabled, so I disabled that and could open my browser with no problems.

Then I google searched, "PBR.exe" and found out that it allows other computers to access my computer so I uninstalled that. Or something along those lines, it had something to do with Pando something something.

My computer would still freeze up after about 5-10 minutes so I created the dummy account to start looking up stuff on that. Which didn't work.

I Signed into my account and the dummy account and found out that the side I wasn't logged into would get logged off and then shortly after my account would be froze. I tested out opening different accounts and it would happen every time no matter which account it was. So this got me suspicious of a ghost account. And I found an account in my McAfee called, "HelpAssistant".

My mom said she deleted an account she didn't put on but didn't remember the name. So I'm guessing that was it. My mom also deleted Malwarebytes thinking that was the virus.

On my little brother's side you cannot access the Task Manager from CTRL+ALT+DELETE. It just comes up with an error saying, "Administrator has disabled Task Manager for this user." I can use Task Manager on all other sides.

I started up on my side and then switched users to my little brother's side then switched users back to my side. I used my Task Manager and was able to disable the random pop up virus messages from my side but the computer would still freeze after 10 or so minutes.

This is where I'm at. I'm actually using Safe Mode with Networking under Administrator. How I remembered the password is beyond me. :P Or it was a lucky guess. /shrug

So I'm looking for some help on removing this because I can't find my Windows XP Home CD to just redo it all. Also this would help so I can back up the things I want to keep on my backup drive.

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: It would appear I also get redirected from google searches if I don't copy and paste the URL. Mostly to spam sites.

EDIT: Moved from XP to more appropriate Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2010 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users