Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2007

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ken2010

ken2010

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I have Office 2007 Small Business on my desktop - cam preloaded from Dell when I purchased computer about 1 year ago. Now we have purchased a laptop and would like to have Office 2007 on it. What are my options? I understand that the version I have on this desktop cannot be loaded on the laptop (only good for this pc). Should I buy another Office 2007 package? If I do, can that be loaded on more than one computer? Have tried to understand the license info but am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi, normally the license is for 1 computer but in Aus you can get office 2007 with 4 licenses and a free upgrade to 2010 office.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

As you say, ken, the OEM product can only be installed on the system it is licensed for. A retail version can be installed on a desktop and a portable (laptop etc) for non-concurrent use by the licensed user, or someone they are allowing to use the software.

The Office license is a user license, in contrast to an Operating System which is a machine license. The OEM version is further restricted by being a cheaper one only valid for the one machine it is installed on.

The retail version costs more but one of its advantages is you are allowed to also have it installed on the portable computer, but only use one or the other at any one time, not both together (because it is only one user license). If you want two people to be able to use Office on that desktop and the laptop at the same time, you should have a copy of Office for each computer.

Another advantage of the retail version is it can be removed from one computer and re-installed on another, eg when upgrading to a new computer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products...2103171033.aspx

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users