I rarely log on to facebook, especially now that my parents are on it and I'm too busy to bother anyways. But I used the family computer right after my sister logged out of Facebook some days ago, and was surprised to be met with this screen: https://login.facebook.com/loginnotify/setup_machine.php
I checked the Blog and Help Center, but apparently I can't even ask a question until i log in, and when i try to log in i get redirected to that stupid page. I did send the Facebook team an email, though, and they were kind enough to reply requesting a screenshot. I promptly complied and haven't heard from them since.
to clarify the problem:
1. i DO NOT WANT TO REGISTER whatever device I am using just to access my account.
2. i most certainly DID NOT OPT IN to this; all I did was wait for my sister to log out and then use my account as usual. there seems to be NO WAY TO OPT OUT of this. therefore i am left with only two options: either allow someone i don't know access to my information (exactly what type of data taken during this process or what it will be used for has not been made clear) or discontinue my use of facebook.
3. NO EXPLANATION has been given. As you can see from the screenshot of the page, the message simply states
- a request to register the machine,
- informs me that a notification will be sent, and that
- i will have to endure the same rigmarole if i delete my cookies (which i do frequently).It neglects to inform me WHY they need my extra data, WHAT kind of information they will be getting from me, and HOW this information willl be used.
The use of please implies that this is a request, but since i am unable to opt out, the information that's already on my account is basically being held hostage until i acquiesce.
Why is my password not enough? Do they have a security problem? Yahoo, for example, doesn't ask me to register my computer when I use their myriad services--just username, password and it's good to go.
All I ask is a cogent explanation for why further information than username and password are required just to log in. Hopefully something more reasonable than "We want data from your computer but you're not entitled to know why we're getting it and what it will be used for." I would really appreciate perhaps a simple "No, thanks" check box on the page or something to that effect, but that important little detail seems to have been overlooked.
I get that they are striving to improve their users' experience on the site, and I am sure this was one attempt at such. But an ordinary person like myself has no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, so being locked out like this WITH NO EXPLANATION--not even the chance to delete my account and whatever information about me is floating around in there--is quite alarming. Especially when i consider other users who are somewhat more profligate with their information online, like my little sibs.
Days later, after logging in from a public computer, I was finally able to turn the damn thing off. I found this in the Help Center today, too:http://af-za.facebook.com/help/?page=749&hloc=en_US
So here's another problem: if it was an opt IN thing, how did I supposedly do this without accessing the account?
What the hell, facebook?!?!?