Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Case of the Missing Cookie Folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

Ok, I'm stumped. While I am on IE8, I keep getting messages from 'resident shield' stating that it has detected threats. The notification pops up in lower right corner of my screen, then disappears after a few seconds. I can clearly see the file path. I then go to 'my computer' and follow that path and there is no cookie folder or anything else resembling a cookie to be found. I used Malware to clean up files and check for threats (it found nothing) and am now running AVG (free version) after updating it. I also ran CCleaner. I can guarantee you that when I open IE again, I will again get those messages. The last time the notifications popped up one right after another, about seven of them in the short time I was on the 'net. It ticks me off that I can't figure out where they are parking the cookies. Webtrends was the name of one of them, but there were plenty of others, less recognizeable. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I typed in the path name and that worked. There they all were. The AVG full scan also found a ton of cookies on the 'c' drive in a folder named 'recycler'.

Edited by Anonix, 08 May 2010 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Can you provide a screenshot of said error message?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users