Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU cooler

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hiItsMe

hiItsMe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

where do I get a downloadable freeware to make my CPU or processor cooler, compatible with windows 7 of course. it gets to 63 degree celcius and i would like to lower it down to maybe 30-40? anything would be nice, thanks in advance

Edited by hiItsMe, 08 May 2010 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Take a look through here: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=cpu+coo...8f821b775d1d408

If this is a laptop, you can buy something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePa...S/dp/B0009WPSEC

Edit >> determine what temp is right for your processor: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2947-cpu-is-over...erature-problem

Edited by Jacee, 08 May 2010 - 11:53 AM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 hiItsMe

hiItsMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I have been searching and found programs which runs through windows 95/98/NT but can't work in windows 7. and particular programs like CPU Eat'n'Cool makes my laptop crash, CPUIdle doesn't work and says application error, and CPUCool says application runtime error, too. Both of them shows a registry? value that is the source of the problem, like "can't be found" or somehting. And I have set the compatibility settings to the required OS and still not working...

#4 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

A few options:

1. Opening up your computer and cleaning it out with a can of compressed air (which makes a HUGE difference in cooling if it's been a while)
2. Buy an aftermarket CPU fan, Freezer 7 Pro by Artic Cooling is a popular option, make sure it fits your socket type, though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134
3. Freeware that you can adjust fan speed? Look no further than SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Not the best website to navigate, so don't get fooled by those ads, direct download link is here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan440.exe

I have a sneaking suspicion about SpeedFan, however, that may be causing a small, but annoying glitch of occasionally beeping once at a random keystroke and skipping that particular keystroke in Windows 7 (at least the 64-bit version), but I have yet to confirm it.

Edited by Venek, 08 May 2010 - 03:22 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

You need to get a more heavy duty cooler for cpu and cooler for mainboard compatability not a requirement for coolers and fans get the temp down to about 38 degrees for cpu get a good thermal paste apply a thin layer in middle of cpu and spread with a credit card or similar tool too much and will create heat build up and increase temps have system fans which pull heat out of system above cpu and fans that draw cool air in below cpu cool air drawn into sytem and hit graphics card an cool air drawn into hd's too cool.

Any software you use to monitor temps using win 7 needs to be compatable cpuz or similar.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Not to mention any additional software you add will cause your processor to be used more, which will in turn make it run hotter. The way to cool a processor is to get air across it, and decrease the load. Make sure all the air channels, fans, and fins are clean.

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Amen to that.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

Not to mention any additional software you add will cause your processor to be used more, which will in turn make it run hotter. The way to cool a processor is to get air across it, and decrease the load. Make sure all the air channels, fans, and fins are clean.

Exactly.

There is software out there that can report temperatures, but not necessarily control them. Your fans automatically take care of that (which is why you should keep them clean). :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

and particular programs like CPU Eat'n'Cool makes my laptop crash

Vacuum the air inlets/outlets with the laptop off.

Use a good laptop cooler
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

there is software out there that "claim" to lower CPU temps, but most of them are rip offs, lying, or even if they do, do very little to actually help your CPU cool off, just shutdown background processes that may or may not necessarily be needed. If your motherboard has a built in fan controller and supported hardware, you can turn the fans up which makes it cooler, but chances are you dont have this equipment. Freeware won't help you, you need to improve the airflow of your case, especially over the heatsink, put in a better heatsink, or both.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users