Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No signal"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie7

Minnie7

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

Hi, ok I have a problem with my desktop computer. When I turn it on I receive a no signal and the computer keeps making a beeping sound. I know that the moniter is still working because I plugged it to another computer and it was able to display the desktop. Im not sure what is wrong with the cpu tower. Could someone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

The beeping sound is it a long continuous beep?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Yes it is. Also if I turn it back on again it beeps the same and if I do it a third time it then stops im not sure why.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

It could be a few things what is the make and model of the computer.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

Its an Acer Aspire
Model No: Aspire Series

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

First make sure there are not any stuck keys on the keyboard. Next are you comfortable working inside the computer case?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

No there are no stuck keys on the keyboard. Im not sure I have not really worked in one before. Would it be complicated?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

If you have never been inside one before it can be intimidating. Is the computer under warranty?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

There are two likely causes left. 1 The power supply has failed which means it will need replaced. You can test it your self using a Volt/ohm meter or a Digital Multimeter, or you can purchase a PSU tester from newegg.com. 2. There is a problem with one of the components on the motherboard. You can try re-seating the memory buy removing it and re-inserting them in their slots firmly to make sure there properly connected. The motherboard and processor are not easily tested with out trying them in another known good system.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

Sorry I got disconnected and, no I dont have a warranty. The computer is almost 3 yrs old.

I have two questions. Where is the power supply and where would I find one of those to test the computer with?

Edited by Minnie7, 08 May 2010 - 08:11 AM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

IF you feel comfortable enough to go inside the computer go for it. Its not difficult and you won't do much damage if your careful. First unplug the pc from the wall, also unplug everything from the back of the computer. I believe there are two thumb screws that secure the side panel of the case remove theses and slide the panel towards the back of the computer to remove it. Before touching anything inside the case touch the outside of the computer case. This will ground you to the computer and prevent you from giving the computer a static shock do this every time you stop touching the computer and go back into it again. Once your inside look for any substantial dust build up and any loose cables that. If there is allot of dust inside get a can of compressed air from your local office supply store or Walmart etc.. Blow the dust out and make sure to clean the fans as well. Next look for the memory. it will look like this Posted Image
On either side of the memory are locks that need to be pressed to remove the memory remove both sticks of memory if you have 2 and re-insert them back into the slots firmly and make sure they are seated completely into the slots and the locks are properly closed. After you have reseated the memory and cleaned out the dust replace the side cover and plug back in the keyboard, mouse, monitor and power cables and see if the computer will start.

If it still wont start you can then test the power supply its located near the top of the computer its where the power cord plugs into it looks something like this Posted ImageYou can purchase a PSU tester from newegg.com the 24.99 model should work ok. The cheaper model would suffice but it does not show you what the exact voltage out put of the power supply is only that it is turning on properly.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 May 2010 - 08:21 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 Minnie7

Minnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Ok, I got to go get a can of compressed air. I will be back on later to let you know if it works ok.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Ok happy cleaning. My blackberry will notify me if you post again.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users