Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boxers

Boxers

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 that I purchase from my employeer. This box was hooked to a network with all data stored on servers so it only has an 80gb drive and no OS disc. I want to up grade the drive well above the 80gb, but with out the OS disc I need to clone the harddrive. I will keep the old drive as backup to the system.

What is the best cloning software? I know this will be based on opinion but that is great.

If you have other solution I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks
Boxers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I've used Acronis True Image to successfully do what you want to do numerous times. I haven't used any of them but here is a list of Free backup/cloning software you could try.

Edited by strolln, 08 May 2010 - 07:22 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:17 AM

Here are some free disc cloning software you can use :

1. CloneZilla
2. PartImage
3. Macrium free edition
4. HDClone

HDClone is what you need. It can be used when you are migrating from smaller drives to larger drives.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Acronis is free for 30 days and works flawlessly, it is also available from a few of the HD makers and it does not expire.

Edited by OldPhil, 09 May 2010 - 08:52 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

OldPhil and Romeo...thanks for the help. There is so much info out there it gets confusing on what work and what does not.

One day there will be a post that I can answer....LOL

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

I use clonzilla everyday. I save images overthe network and onto external usb drives. If you do a disk image rather than a partition image, you can even transfer Dell and other oem recovery partitions to a new larger drive.

BTW: Dell will sell you an os disk for whichever xp shipped with the system, even if the corporate user modified it work as a network station. Last ones I bought were 6.99 plis shipping.

Hmm. When I google this model number, I realize I have one of these. It was donated by a corporation who was replacing them. Nice little dual core pentium D and has no ps2 connectors, just usb for key and mouse.

I will have to take a closer look but I think it does not have the recovery partition, but still has the corporate default image installed.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 09 May 2010 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users