Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/remove programs will not populate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gszeman

gszeman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:27 AM

Hi,

I went to remove a program that wasn't starting up properly and when I opened the add/remove program list it was completely blank. I kept it open for about a half hour while I was doing other things to see if it would populate, but it never did. I googled the issue and found a ton of posts about it, but they all turned into posts about issues with huge gaps or blank spaces in the list...and they said to scroll down and find the first entry. My issue is completely different...I don't even have a scroll bar on the side. The other options work fine, Add New Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Set Program Access and Defaults. Up at the top it says: Currently Installed Programs: , Include Updates (unchecked) and Sort By...but just a big empty window with no programs.

I have tried REGSVR APPWIZ.CPL. I have checked the registry and there are applications in the uninstall directory there...for the heck of it I have even tried some of the fixes for removing blank spaces in front of the program list. Nothing has seemed to work.

I'm running XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3

Let me know if anyone has any ideas and if you need any other info from me.

Thank you,
Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

Hi -
For a start put a tick in the Include Updates Box -

EDIT - The Sort By Box should have NAME next to it also - Click the 'drop down' next to it and name should be an option -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 08 May 2010 - 06:38 AM.

#3 gszeman

gszeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hi -
For a start put a tick in the Include Updates Box -

EDIT - The Sort By Box should have NAME next to it also - Click the 'drop down' next to it and name should be an option -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply! I think I may have a larger problem than I thought. I went in to check the "include updates" and then looked next to the sort by ption...and there is no box either...it's just a blank space. So I took a SS and was going to post it, but I wanted to re-ize the image first. I opened Photoshop and clicked image>resize image. The resize image box popped up, but it too was completely blank! I closed Photoshop and tried several times and no change...just an empty grey box pops up with no content inside. I checked several other options within Photoshop and all of them were blank boxes as well. I tried a few other programs but they seemed ok...Photoshop is a big resource hog, so maybe it's something to do with system resources/memory? Or maybe a virus? I scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials and it came up ok...but that often means nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Glenn

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Any recent known malware problems?

Might be useful, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/.

Louis

#5 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have tried REGSVR APPWIZ.CPL. I have checked the registry and there are applications in the uninstall directory there...for the heck of it I have even tried some of the fixes for removing blank spaces in front of the program list. Nothing has seemed to work.

Did you try REGSVR APPWIZ.CPL or REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL

If you tried REGSVR APPWIZ.CPL you will just get an error mesage.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

May be worth trying the system file checker, if you have checked for malware.

May be damaged system files.

How To Repair System Files:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Look at post #1 for the general view.

Note the comments about a Windows disk.

Run: "sfc /scannow" command (without the quotes).

#7 gszeman

gszeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

May be worth trying the system file checker, if you have checked for malware.

May be damaged system files.

How To Repair System Files:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Look at post #1 for the general view.

Note the comments about a Windows disk.

Run: "sfc /scannow" command (without the quotes).

Thanks for the reply...i had some issues about a month ago with the windows security virus stuff..and yesterday I has to re-download firefox because it was removed by Microsoft Security Essentials? I did a scan after that and nothing came up...I'll take a look at the link you gave.

Thank you,
Glenn

#8 gszeman

gszeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Did you try REGSVR APPWIZ.CPL or REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL

If you tried REGSVR APPWIZ.CPL you will just get an error mesage.

Sorry, yeah it was REGSVR32...

Any recent known malware problems?

Might be useful, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/.

Louis

Thank you, I'll take a look when I get back home tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users