Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit and unwanted programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 instacat

instacat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:44 AM

I have an eMachines ET 1810-03R; Intel PDC E2210, 3GB; 320GB HD; DVD-RW; 6USB; with Windows 7 Premium Home Version, with a 60-day Norton Internet Security 2009, with Norton online backup pre-installed. Also pre-installed were Adobe version 9 , Windows Office, Excel, Power Point, the numerous other free trial versions, ebay, netflix, and other junk files I don't use and don't want on my computer.
I have had to completely restore my computer to the factory default settings several times since I bought it in December 2009. Each time I do the complete restore, I have to spend more time trying to eliminate the junk that comes "free" and already installed. I have found that most, if not all of these programs have hidden files, and apparently some hidden run options.
All I want, is to remove these files completely, so I can then backup my computer from that point, and not have to do this routine each and every time.
Even files like Earthlink, Netzero, and out-dated versions of Adobe have shown very resistant when I try to uninstall them. I know about going into the registry under local machine/software, and current user/software to look for leftover commands in the registry that should be invalid after installing the product.
What am I doing wrong here?
Also, is there a way to make a set of "recovery discs" AFTER I uninstall the junk programs; and have my settings, folders, options, etc. set the way I want them to STAY? I did a "backup disc" of the entire computer once, but when I tried to restore the computer from the backup, I couldn't find any of my files easily, and I was unfamiliar with the new "look" of the backup, so I just restored again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

Once you get all of the stuff off, that you don't want ... use free Macrium to make a system image back up.
http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-F...4-10845728.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Revo uninstaller will remove anything it can find. Please read instruction carefully. It will give you options to clean all the little bits left over but you must do just as it instructs.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Yes, I recommend uninstalling all the crapware using Revo...then immediately make a system image you can restore later, if needed. That will save you the time it takes to do a full restore, then uninstall all the crapware again. :huh:

Macrium is a good backup program, but there are others, as well. There's even one built right into Windows 7! How To Use Backup and Restore in Windows 7 - How-To Geek :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 09 May 2010 - 03:06 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users