Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have a question about my computer's current safety

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mgman

mgman

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi. Recently my dad accidentally fell victim to some Security Tools 2010 on our computer. I was about to follow a specified procedure to remove the infection when I got carried away and chose a System Restore point. It seems to have made the rogue anti-spyware go away (had the computer go back a few days). I then proceeded to scan the computer using Malware Bytes Anti Malware and it found nothing. Then used a double-check tool called rkill which also found nothing.

In Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP3.

Would it be safe to say I'm... safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:45 PM

Well, there could still be traces (files) of it on your drive.

You could do a simple search for it:

1. Start > Search > For files and folders > All files and folders > "Security Tools"
2. From the search results, select the application file, right-click and choose 'Open Containing Folder'.

3. Now that you know the location of the "Security Tools" folder, navigate to it using "My Computer".
4. Once you get to the folder, rename it to something else and then hit the DELETE key!

(If the above doesn't work in the normal Windows mode, try the SAFE mode)

I then proceeded to scan the computer using Malware Bytes Anti Malware and it found nothing. Then used a double-check tool called rkill which also found nothing.

Do add SuperAntiSpyware to your arsenal.

My 2 Cents.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 07 May 2010 - 08:50 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Thank you. I'm going to apply these procedure steps right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users