Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Booting!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Lawson

Cody Lawson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

I am working on a computer for a friend because his computer did not boot up. I went to my house and hooked it up to see what was wrong. The fans and lights all ran normal during startup but no image on the screen. I continued inside the computer and checked the RAM by removing it and listening for the beeps. It was all good. I then checked the processor and it was good. The hard drive seemed to be powering up because I could not only I hear it but when I waited until I knew that the computer was at the login screen, I hit enter on the keyboard and it was loading the user settings by hearing. I then checked the graphic card and bingo there was my problem...I pulled it out and immediately the fan came off with a whole bunch of other pieces. The vents to the card had been plugged with dust........So I removed the card and tried to boot it up with the VGA Cable connected directly to the motherboard or in other words integrated graphics and NOTHING!!! So my guess is that when they bought this computer they disabled integrated graphics in the bios and now I canít do anything! I also have a new graphic card here at the shop and tried putting that in to see if it would boot from that and NOTHING!!! Is there something Iím not doing right????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

If...it has onboard graphics...you could try resetting the BIOS to default settings, which would use the onboard (if it works).

The reset can be done by a couple of ways.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

The link above refers to three methods...but on a system where user cannot see the BIOS settings, there are only the two mentioned.

Louis

#3 Cody Lawson

Cody Lawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Replaced the battery and still nothing...

Any more ideas?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

See if you can get the computer to post with everything unplugged from the motherboard. Leave only the processor and ram installed and plug into the onboard video. If that doesn't work check the monitor if there is still no video then its either the motherboard or a possibly a bad PSU.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Since you have a shop am i right you can swap parts in and out of compatable machines?

You have swapped the ram into a compatable machine and is ok is this correct?

You have swapped the processor into a compatable machine and is ok is this correct?

Have used a new good known working graphics card that is compatable in the affected machine still no change.

You have used a known good monitor and are getting no signal or please check signal cable?

Check fuse and wiring in plug of psu change fuse.

Check voltage setting on back of psu is set correctly if psu has the switch.

Change vga cable to eliminate faulty or damaged cable.

Try a different psu which is the same power rating as current psu see if it boots.

As for cmos battey remove and leave out for 1 minute with power off and disconnected. Replace battery should reset bios to default so onboard graphics will be enabled by default.

Minimal boot processor, 1 stick of ram and onboard graphics only, no nic cards, hard drives , dvd drives or usb front panels or pci devices etc connected to motherboard.

If resetting cmos fails could indicate bios corruption or a failure of motherboard which may indicate replacement needed. You can flash the bios go to motherboard manufacturers website there will be instructions, or if a brand name computer go to their website there may be special instructions for that particular model.

Just need to do the process of elimination first.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Darth sidious, 08 May 2010 - 09:02 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#6 Cody Lawson

Cody Lawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Checked everything and still nothing...my guess is that the motherboard is bad...but then it should'nt make beeps when pulling the ram out????

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

So you've checked all other hardware in compatable machine/s and they are working ok. If the motherboard is the only component not checked then i would say yes probably bad you could try flashing bios it is up to you.

You should not be pulling ram out while machine is on electrocution comes to mind. but if ram is not seated corrrectly if one of plastic sleeves isn't closed properly then you will get continous beeping when booting machine and performing post indicating memory problem. If a ram stick is borked completely you may get no beeps but no signal or check signal cable on monitor this can also apply to processor, motherboard, graphics cards and psu's.

If you are removing or installing any components in a computer power should be off and disconnected and anti-static precautions taken. Although the risk may be smaller with modern components there is risk there in my opinion better to be on safe side. Some may agree or disagree with this but this is my opinion.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

When running with no components in the motherboard technically if it has an on board speaker it should post and fail telling you that your missing the processor and memory. So if you power up the board with just the processor and video you should get a beep telling you there is a problem with the memory. If you aren't getting any beeps (and it has a speaker) then the board is bad.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Cody Lawson

Cody Lawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Ya every possible test that has been posted on here i have went through. Like i said before every component inside the computer seems to be working just fine. In fact i can tell that the Hard Drive is running and reading/Writing data. When i booted up the computer i waited unitl the Hard drive light was off and then proceeded to press enter on the keyboard to log-in to windows, and then it began to read/write again. The only option I have right now is that the part where the VGA Cable connects to is bad and not sending any video signal. When connecting the computer to a monitor it says: "Video Signal Out Of Range" I have tried this on multiple monitors and still the same results.

Cody

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

Yeh mobo has to be suspect if all other hardware has been tested you could try putting suspect mobo into another machine to confirm failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users