Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Freezing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SirJD

SirJD

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys,
First post here at BC, although i have checked here now and again to solve some problems and chose to post here as this seamed like the most knowledgeable place.
Yesterday i was affected by a Trojan, which came up as a free virus scanner allerting me that my computer was infected. I had already dealt with a trojan like this on a friends pc so i booted into safe mode and ran MBAM, AVG and SAS which found and removed Trojan. files. As far as i know i am now clean (have run MBAM, AVG and SAS again and all have come back clean), however whenever i try to carry out Windows Update, the computers freezes during the scanning process.
I am currently running Vista 64, and can supply hijackthis logs if required. I have had this problem previously and remember it being a simple fix however i cant for the life of me remember.
Would also like to know if there are any other checks i should do to ensure my PC is clean?

Thanks in advance!
SirJD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi,
I too am a new member here, but seeing as I have freezing issues constantly too (my friend from college says that I "Attract computer issues"), I might be able to lend a hand. I use YlSoftware's Win Utilities (both paid and free versions are available), but the free version works wonders, and it has all kinds of stuff to it. 23 in the bundle in all, I believe. It's disc cleaner works great for cleaning up files that are not needed. Part of the issue could possibly be (though I'm not absolutely sure), that your internet explorer is trying to load tons of temp files that it doesn't need anymore. This can cause slowdowns and hangs all the time. Also I'd recommend killing any running processes that hog up CPU usage since sometimes updates add up and the downloading time takes longer. I'm tellig you this from my own experience, so I hope it helps. Any questions? Ask!

regards,
your tech geek Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 SirJD

SirJD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hi again,
After running another scan with MBAM, it found another 2 items (which is strange as it didnt find any the night before) and windows update is now working fine again (just updated). As far as i know im now safe but would it be possible to get someone with some greater knowledge to have a alook through my logs for anything im missing?

Thanks in advance,
SirJD

Edited by SirJD, 09 May 2010 - 06:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users