Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Archer_1

Archer_1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

The computer is a IBM T-40 laptop, 2G ram, DVD drive which was running XP-Pro (SP2) until I tried to install Ubuntu 9.1. The install from the CD seemed to go without problem but I am now unable to boot either OS. I tried the XP CD 'R' option and it reports 'path or file specified not valid'. My Win98 CD won't boot at all either (I thought maybe 'fixmbr' etc. might run from there). Using Ultimate Boot CD, Dr Dos 2 and also Gparts, the disk appears intact, with a 20G NTSF half filled (listed 'boot') and a extended partition with 3 Linux partitions, 2 with contents, one swap, but no 'repair' features from the'rescue CDs' help. I'm unsure if the machine just can't find the HD, the MBR or if the MBR is corrupt. I've tried every XP 'fix' I can find to no avail. Perhaps the Linux forum might be able to say if it can be fixed from there with 'Terminal' run from the installation CD. I can provide any additional details if there are any suggestions. Do I need to start over or can the MBR be repaired/replaced externally. Any direction appreciated. Thanks, AC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

When you install Ubuntu, it puts GRUB on your hard drive (removing the Windows bootloader).

You need to add XP to GRUB.

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux ( XP installed first)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Archer_1

Archer_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

When you install Ubuntu, it puts GRUB on your hard drive (removing the Windows bootloader).

You need to add XP to GRUB.

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux ( XP installed first)

Thanks keyboardNinja for the response. I tried the 'Install' from the CD again and all went well (it displayed the HD partition configuration as I believed it to exist) and I let it choose what it wanted to do, until I got to the 'Migrate Documents and Settings' screen which was empty. I continued on and the 'Migration Assistant' did NOT list any OS listed, unlike the example which said the OS should be there. <......Ubuntu found any user account to migrate, it certainly knows that Windows XP is installed on the other partition.> but it didn't appear there. For some reason, it cannot 'see' the XP Pro installation which shows on the HD display. I aborted at this point, and will see what the next step is, as I'm sure XP is still there. Any thoughts? Thanks. AC

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Uhh...I'd say make a new topic in the Linux sub-forum here at BC. I know next to nil about Linux distros...I just knew the part about GRUB, and linked the tutorial about it. So since you couldn't get it fixed using that, I'll have to recommend you ask for help from the people who know Linux. Sorry I couldn't be of better help. :flowers:

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer, by the way. :trumpet:

#5 Archer_1

Archer_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Uhh...I'd say make a new topic in the Linux sub-forum here at BC. I know next to nil about Linux distros...I just knew the part about GRUB, and linked the tutorial about it. So since you couldn't get it fixed using that, I'll have to recommend you ask for help from the people who know Linux. Sorry I couldn't be of better help. :flowers:

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer, by the way. :trumpet:

Thanks keyboardNinja, good suggestion. I am pursuing it from the Linux end now, and will wait and see before I do anything further. I appreciate your taking the time to help out. Thanks for the 'welcome' too. A.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

You're welcome and good luck. :thumbsup: