Recently I purchased:
- Vantec NexStar SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive Dock (model #: NST-D300S3)
- Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache internal hard drive (model #: 0S00163)
I want to use them to store my data through USB connection to my laptop.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100-SK8:
- Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3
- Chipset: Intel® 82801G (I think, read from Device Manager > System devices)
- USB 2.0 ports
My laptop didn’t show any response when the NexStar dock was connected to it through USB (with the new Hitachi drive in it). I know the installation of the “USB Mass Storage Device” driver should start automatically but it didn’t happen.
I checked Device Manage > Universal Serial Bus Controllers, no “USB Mass Storage Device” was found. I checked Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management, no Hitachi drive icon was displayed so I couldn’t format it.
It looks like my laptop is not communicating with the NexStar dock... so I asked Vantec for help, but so far, they are not very helpful. Vantec told me the device is defective and I can exchange for another one. But when I took it back to the computer store, the technician checked the dock and it worked fine on his computer (old desktop also running Windows XP with USB 2.0)…
Things I’ve tried so far:
- Uninstalled and reinstalled USB host controllers from Device Manager
- Ran Microsoft Windows update and these updates showed up:
- Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
- Office XP Service Pack 3
- Two Security Updates for Microsoft Office 2003 – KB953404 and KB921598
- Ran Intel® Driver Update Utility and these updates showed up:
- Graphics Driver - Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family, didn’t install because my laptop doesn’t have the required chipset
- Wireless Networking - Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, installed
- Wired Networking - PROWin32 Intel Wired Networking update, installed, by uninstalling Intel® PROSet/Wireless software in Add or Remove Programs, had to do this in order to install PROWin32 Intel Wired Networking update
Please help! Pardon the length of this… essay.