Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vantec NexStar SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive Dock not responding to my Toshiba Satellite A100-SK8 laptop, help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 randomty

randomty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hello all,

Recently I purchased:
- Vantec NexStar SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive Dock (model #: NST-D300S3)
- Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache internal hard drive (model #: 0S00163)
I want to use them to store my data through USB connection to my laptop.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100-SK8:
- Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3
- Chipset: Intel® 82801G (I think, read from Device Manager > System devices)
- USB 2.0 ports

The problem:
My laptop didn’t show any response when the NexStar dock was connected to it through USB (with the new Hitachi drive in it). I know the installation of the “USB Mass Storage Device” driver should start automatically but it didn’t happen.

I checked Device Manage > Universal Serial Bus Controllers, no “USB Mass Storage Device” was found. I checked Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management, no Hitachi drive icon was displayed so I couldn’t format it.

It looks like my laptop is not communicating with the NexStar dock... so I asked Vantec for help, but so far, they are not very helpful. Vantec told me the device is defective and I can exchange for another one. But when I took it back to the computer store, the technician checked the dock and it worked fine on his computer (old desktop also running Windows XP with USB 2.0)…

Things I’ve tried so far:
- Uninstalled and reinstalled USB host controllers from Device Manager
- Ran Microsoft Windows update and these updates showed up:
  • Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
  • Office XP Service Pack 3
  • Two Security Updates for Microsoft Office 2003 – KB953404 and KB921598
I don’t think they are related to the problem so I didn’t install them.

- Ran Intel® Driver Update Utility and these updates showed up:
  • Graphics Driver - Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family, didn’t install because my laptop doesn’t have the required chipset
  • Wireless Networking - Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, installed
  • Wired Networking - PROWin32 Intel Wired Networking update, installed, by uninstalling Intel® PROSet/Wireless software in Add or Remove Programs, had to do this in order to install PROWin32 Intel Wired Networking update
None of the things I tried worked!

Please help! Pardon the length of this… essay.

Thank you,

Randomty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NightWarlock

NightWarlock

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:03 AM

Does Device Manager have any yellow exclamation marks?

Try right clicking on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.
You might see the drive, with no letter assigned to it. Assign a letter that's not already being used. This might fix your drive.

On an extended break.

#3 randomty

randomty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

No, there were no yellow exclamation marks shown in Disk Management. My drive is not shown in Disk Management at all. I think there's a problem with my laptop because it is unable to recognize the hard drive dock.

Earlier, I searched the Toshiba driver update website and saw a number of updates. I will download them and see if it helps establish recognition of the hard drive dock.

Thank you for your reply.

I will post the result here after.

#4 jimplasticguy

jimplasticguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi, I just signed up here so that I could reply to your message with my troubleshooting so far. About a month ago, my Vantec Nexstar DX that I turned into an external DVD stopped working similar to yours. I also noticed that the blue light would be on, and then die soon after I plugged it into my pc. I kept working on it and at one point after deleting all USB devices and reinstalling, noticed that I had an error on my sata to usb bridge device.

I finally gave up and did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate 64. because I had been meaning to anyway. Everything worked again until I added SP1 update. immediately I had the same problem. I then googled around and found a USB bug with Windows 7 SP1. I tried the fixes on the web, but they did not work. I then turned off SP1 so that it was blocked from being updated. I left the other updates on auto. Last week, my computer updated again, and even without SP1, one of the new updates killed the drive again. I now have them all turned off, but this is not a really good solution.

This evening I was googling around because I realized it might be tied to the actual Vantec enclosure, and I found your post. try rolling back to before recent updates. I bet your PC works again. Now, how do we fix it? I find Microsoft impossible to work with. They are just too big. So this has me stumped now.

Jim

#5 jimplasticguy

jimplasticguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

OK, just want to add to my own post that I realize now the one I replied to was in May of LAST YEAR. I thought it was May of this year. So it is not the same issue... Maybe my post will make a connection for someone else though...

Jim

#6 randomty

randomty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thank you Jim for your reply.

Sorry for not updating news about this problem. I haven't been working on it for a whole year!!! Initially I thought maybe if I just buy a dock+internal hard drive combo it adds "versatility" but I'm regretting this decision now... could be better off just buying an external hard drive... I was afraid of external hard drive not being very reliable and Hitachi seems like a reliable brand for hard drive.

It sounds like I have to reinstall Windows XP to have a chance to make it work. I was planning to transfer my data to the Hitachi hard drive before I reinstall Windows XP to clean things up, but if I were to burn DVD's to save my data, it defeats the purpose of buying the hard drive in the first place...

What a drag...

Randomty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users