Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall/ICS error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 SprAznMan

SprAznMan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

I'm having a problem with getting Windows Firewall/ICS service to start. I keep getting the same error

Error 10050: A socket operation encountered a dead network

I looked it up and found that it could happen because of malware or spyware so I've run malware bytes and superantispyware to the point where they both return with nothing. I've also run avast antivirus to see if that came up with anything and so far I've gotten nowhere.

I've used tdsskiller to take out any rootkits and used winsockfix to try and get it working again and nothing has worked.

I've even reinstalled TCP/IP protocol which was mentioned somewhere.

I'm not sure what else to do.

I can't connect to the internet either via wireless or wired though I can on another computer on the same network.

Are there any other suggestions for me?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

The statement "failure of the network system...the network interface...or the network itself" seems to sum it up :thumbsup:.

It's either Windows, the NIC, or thje network and I would go about systematically checking/eliminating each...if I wanted to resolve it.

The fact that other users on the network don't experience problems...saves you the trouble of checking the network. Uninstalling/then reinstalling the NIC gives the best chance of success with that one...since NICs do go bad, I always have a spare that I can use for troubleshooting. If I suspect Windows, I run sfc /scannow and set the network up anew on that system, using the NetworkWizard.

Louis

#3 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

Could you help me through the uninstalling and the reinstalling of the NIC? I don't have all of my CDs for this computer so I'm not sure if I have all of the files required. I don't want to start uninstalling something if I can't reinstall it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

To find the drivers for your NIC...we need the system manufacturer and model...or the motherboard manufacturer and model, if your system is custom-built.

Drivers for many systems are available at the respective website of the system manufacturer (for HP, Dell, eMachines, etc.) or motherboard manufacturer (assuming that the NIC function is onboard/provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

If an actual PCI card NIC is installed...drivers would be available from the manufacturer of said NIC.

Some data on installing/uninstalling drivers: How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

I believe in uninstalling devices when there are problems...before trying to install new drivers. This eliminates the possibility of damaged drivers preventing update/proper install of replacement drivers. Others may not share this view :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I would try this: Repairing Winsock Guide

#6 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

Ok so I uninstalled and reinstalled my network cards and it didn't seem to work. I also tried the sfc /scannow and it didn't seem to do anything but when I tried to set up a network with my wireless I got a error message stating "Some of the computer's network hardware is still disconnected. Before you can continue, you must either plug in or otherwise connect all of your hardware, or select "Ignore disconnected network hardware""
My comp is a laptop so I don't have any hardware that is disconnected. Is there anything else that I could possibly do?

#7 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hey Cryptodan

I've tried that and it didn't work. I still get the same problem after the reboot.

#8 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

I don't know if this is relevant but I can't seem to restore my computer to an earlier time either.

It seems to continually fail on a system restore.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...21163718AAdvTAb

System manufacturer and model?

What is the error message...when you attempt a system restore?

From what I see...you may simply have a hardware failure. Have you checked device status via Device Manager? What items reflect indications of problems?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#10 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

I have an Acer TravelMate 5720-6792
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7100 (1.8 GHz, 800 Mhz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
1GB DDR2
802.11a/b/g WLAN
I'm sure that when I tired the new wireless network it was definitely on and was stuck on "Acquiring Network Address" before I stopped it from trying to acquire it. I stopped it from trying to acquire the network address but I didn't disable it. Then I tried to set up the new wireless network and it gave me that previous error.

As for an error message on the system restore, it didn't have one. It just said it was unable to restore to that point and to try a different point. I tried about 10 different points and I got the same message back on every one.

As for things in the device manager, I looked through all the devices and most of them said that they were working properly.

The ones that didn't say they were working properly were ones that said that there were no drivers installed for those devices

They are all under the system devices branch
The following are the ones that say there are no drivers installed:
Direct memory access controller
Intel® 82802 Firmware Hub Device
Motherboard resources
Motherboard resources (Note*: There are two of these)
Numeric data processor
Programmable interrupt controller
System timer

I've never really looked too closely before at the device manager but are these supposed to have drivers or do they not have any?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Those are good to go :thumbsup:.

I phrased that question poorly...I should have asked if there were any red or yellow markings if front of a device in Device Manager...such typically indicate known problems.

It has been suggested that we move this to the Am I Infected forum for more work...I will now do that. From this point on, take all further suggestions/instructions from the BC staff personnel in that forum.

Louis

#12 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

I don't have any red or yellow markings at all in the Device Manager.

I'm really stuck here.

It all seemed to be working properly until I was taking out the malware and spyware.

What else can I try?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

Can you download http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.superantispyware.com run them then post the scans here.

#14 SprAznMan

SprAznMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Here are the two logs

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3930

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/9/2010 9:14:11 PM
mbam-log-2010-05-09 (21-14-11).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 342860
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 42 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 05/09/2010 at 10:25 PM

Application Version : 4.35.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 4910
Trace Rules Database Version: 2722

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:09:46

Memory items scanned : 799
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 9072
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 47911
File threats detected : 0

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hello,your MBAM needs updating..
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users