Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning on upgrading my video card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AJ_Nerevar

AJ_Nerevar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

As the title states, I'm thinking of getting a better video card. Currently, mine I've got integrated graphics... so I don't get the best speed with it. My biggest problem would be a complete noobishness to computer hardware; I'm not sure what's compatible, if I need to download anything, etc.

For starters, this here is essentially my computer: Click Here.

The only difference that I can spot between the machine I've linked, and the one I own, is that mine does not have a floppy drive. Reading over the system specs, they seem to be identical in other areas. (They are, after all, the same model number and everything. I'd hope that means they've got matching hardware.)

With that out of the way, my question is basically thus: Could anyone suggest a video card for me? I'm thinking something up to $150, seeing as my PC is 4 years old now and I really don't need anything top of the line anyway. I'll actually be getting a much more powerful laptop when the summer hits, since I'll be off to university. I'm really just tired of my current PC running so slowly, and I hate to see it like so, even if I'm not going to be using it for too much longer.

Like the link I've posted says, I currently have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series chipset. I'm not entirely sure, but does this mean that I can't install an nVidia card? Or would I simply need to download the appropriate nVidia driver before putting an nVidia card in my computer? I think I would have to update my drivers regardless of whether I buy an nVidia, or another ATI, but I'm curious as to whether or not I can even run an nVidia card.

I'd like a card that is capable of offering a decent level of performance for video games, though I'm not expecting to run anything released recently. I'd be happy if I could play games that were released in 2006 smoothly, since that's the year I bought this computer, so it seems only fair I suppose? I don't think the rest of the hardware is bad, it's just the video card. In essence, I want something affordable because it needn't be top of the line, and I'd like it to show a significant improvement over what I currently have, if possible. Based on my system specs, there are programs that I should be able to run reliably, but cannot, and after some research, this integrated graphics is all that I can think to blame.

I guess that's all, really. I can't think of any more information to give on this, but if I've missed anything or if there are any more questions of course, I will of course try to answer them. Hopefully this wasn't a difficult read, I know my thoughts can tend to be all over the place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Things to consider:

That isn't exactly a speedy CPU by today's standard, and you have an OEM power supply. The power supply might have a problem supplying enough power for an upper midrange card.

If you have $150 to spend then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121363 for a 5770, or you can look around for a 5750 which might show up around the $130 pricepoint.
I really cannot recommend an NVidia card at this point as they are overpriced and not really competetive featurewise.

Your power supply specs would help (especially the 12V+ rating). If you are going to need another $60 for a decent PSU, it might be a dealbreaker for an upgrade. It might then be better to sit tight for awhile and buy/build another new system instead of dumping more money into your platform.

Edited by dpunisher, 08 May 2010 - 04:41 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hi there!

Looks like your PC has a PCI Express x16 expansion slot for the video card and a 300W power supply to work with.

Based on your system specifications(esp. the proccy), the games you wish to play and other considerations, I would suggest these:

ATI HD4670 Or Nvidia 9600GT

Recommended brands:

ATI - Sapphire, HIS, XFX
Nvidia - XFX, EVGA, Asus, Zotac

And you will definitely need a better Power Supply Unit(PSU).
Some quality PSUs:

Corsair 400CX
SeaSonic S12II 430

Another important factor, is the amount of space available within the PC Case, to accommodate the graphics card.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 07 May 2010 - 08:29 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 AJ_Nerevar

AJ_Nerevar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think they may help quite a bit, in fact. I'll have a look over what you've both suggested and see if anything strikes my interest. I never expected this to be an easy or quick thing, so I've been prepared to do more research, still.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users