Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Program compatibility assistant pop ups

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brandon8379

brandon8379

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

I am having some very bad problems with my PC right now. The main issue is that I cannot run most programs or access files. If I try to click on mp3or video files I get a pop up. It says I must download proper codecs and it directs me to a scam site. I have run malware bytes and spyware doctor in regular and safe mode and cannot fix the problem. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I am at home all day and will check back often for replies.

Thanks,

Brandon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kpoling

kpoling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

I have been having the exact same problem. Trend Micro, AdAware do not find the virus, but it seems to be similar to others that hijack your computer in the hopes that you'll give your credit card number away. I reinstalled some of my audio software and now the software won't even start without the virus stopping things. It looks like the Vista Assistant, but I run XP, and in any case it directs you to a non-microsoft company asking for money for codecs that should already be on your computer. Any call for a media file seems to trigger the virus response. This is causing me serious problems. Help someone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users