Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not restore my files from back up disks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NSP19

NSP19

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Can some one plz help me......
I did a system recovery to restore the factory settings.....i backed up my files first
For some reason everytime i try to restore my backed up files.....the program will not start at all

i am getting very frustrated
some help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hello NSP19,

1.Open Backup and Restore Center by clicking Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore Center.

2.Click Advanced restore. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Files from a backup made on a different computer, and then follow the steps.

#3 NSP19

NSP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

Hello NSP19,

1.Open Backup and Restore Center by clicking Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore Center.

2.Click Advanced restore. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Files from a backup made on a different computer, and then follow the steps.

hi how ya doing?

I tried that with the #1 disk in the dvd rw drive
and it says
"Windows was not able to find any backup sets E:\.
Please select a different location"

thanks for the advice

Any got anymore....?
plz

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

Just to confirm;

Did you use Windows Backup and Restore Center to perform your backup?

And if so..

Did you select Complete PC Backup or File Backup?

#5 NSP19

NSP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

i used the menu when ever your computer first stars up......with the blue background and the Hp symbol in the middle of the screen and it has the F11 or F12 buttons(not sure if it was exactly F11 or F12 tho)

well i started from there becuz i couldnt get past the Login menu without the "Blue screen of Death" poppin up everytime......

If that helps any......
thnx

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

Forgive me, but I'm still a little unclear.

From your first post, I assumed you had successfully restored to factory settings and can boot to windows, and would like to restore personal files you have backed up.

Is this correct?

Or, you created recovery disks to enable restoring to factory settings, but are unable to do so?

#7 NSP19

NSP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

yes the first one......

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Okay,

Creating recovery discs from the HP Recovery Manager as you did, are only useful to restore to factory settings if you are unable to restore using the recovery partition.

HP does not include recovery discs with computers that are shipped with the HP Recovery Manager. However, the Recovery Manager can be used to create a personal set of recovery discs. In the event that the hard drive crashes or the computer system becomes corrupted, you can use the personal recovery discs to restore the system to its original condition.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00809678

Here are instructions on how to backup your files for future use. It would be a good idea to backup regularly, even better, make a couple of backups... just in case :huh: .
http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-backup-your-data

Note: Some of the features in the above article may not be available depending on which version of Vista you have.

Important: When using Windows Backup and Restore Center, be careful not to backup to your recovery partition. Use an external Hard Drive, USB Flash Drives or CD/DVD's

Edited by RedDawn, 10 May 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#9 NSP19

NSP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

so your saying there is no way i can get my files restored......even tho i got 14 dvd-rs that my computer backed up right before i restored my factory settings??

#10 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm not overly familiar with HP's Recovery Manager, but see there are indeed other options available besides creating recovery discs.

See if this helps.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01673043

#11 NSP19

NSP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

thanks for the above link.....i didnt know you had to wait 10 - 30 mins for the recovery manager to start working......i just assumed the program wasnt responding.....

For some reason the "File Recovery" only works one time right after a "System Recovery"........
I followed the steps in the above link to try and bring the menu up earlier before i did another "System Recovery".......but couldnt find the "File Recovery" option in the Line up of other recovery options.....

The "File Recovery" froze up on me ealier at 6%.......dont know why.......
But i did another system recovery just now......and i am trying another file recovery as i type.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users