Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STILL having wireless/computer problems

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TScrewy

TScrewy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

Topic.

First off... my computer is a Dell. Which sucks because you CAN NOT refill the ink cartridges and have to CONSTANTLY buy new ink, which is NOT cheap mind you. Also... Dell computers will ONLY work with Dell products, which sucks even MORE. I really wish my parents had obtained more information, and shopped around before they bought the first thing that they saw in a magazine (which is pretty much what they did.) Unfortunately... I CAN NOT start over and buy new computers (because we have TWO computers that are Dells) because my parents are in trouble financial wise and I'm not rich either. Look... I TRIED to look for a job, okay? I really did. Guess what? Uh huh... I COULDN'T FIND ONE AND NO ONE IS CALLING ME. SO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TELL ME TO GET A JOB BECAUSE I'VE LOOKED FOR ONE.

*coughs*

Anyway... on to the problem itself. Sometimes when I start the computer, Windows will come up and say "Dell WLAN card has stopped responding and was closed." Then... it will search for a solution, find a solution, and on the detail of the problem it says it has "stopped functioning properly" pretty much. I tried updating to a newer version of the WLAN card from Dell's site and it won't let me install in because I got an error code when I tried to install it. I also tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it from a CD that came with our computer and that didn't work either. Dell refuses to help me solve it either without extending our warranty (because the warranty on BOTH of our computers has expired) and according to my mom "We broke our contract with Dell." Also... we are apparently STILL paying for the computer that I am currently having problems with because we've been getting calls the last couple of days from debt collectors.

Also... the speed on the Dell WLAN card will go all over the place. It will go from 54 Mbps to 36 Mbps to 48 Mbps to 24 Mbps to 18 Mbps to 11 Mbps and I've even seen it go down all the way to 1.0 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps. WTF?! Also... sometimes the signal isn't the best either, On average the signal I get on the this computer is "Good" or "Low." UGH!!!!!!!! I honestly have NO IDEA what's going on with it and I don't know how to solve this problem.

It all started with the icon on the lower right hand side of the computer have a large red "X" on it after I tried to use a program to spoof my MAC address that I seemed to think I solved by doing a Windows "System Restore" yet that didn't seem to solve the problem and may be causing my current problems but I'm not sure. Oh, and the current OS I am using is Windows Vista.

So... yeah...

I'm REALLY tired of this and I've stopped using it recently, but, as you can see, I can get on the internet fine. Also... this problem doesn't happen EVERY time I start the computer, only occasionally or every once in a while will it do this.

Yeah... I have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what the problem is.

So... think anyone can help me solve these problems ONCE AND FOR ALL?

No?

I didn't think so... I'm ALWAYS screwed it seems... *sighs* I can't believe making a simple mistake like that can just screw EVERYTHING up. I don't understand that AT ALL...

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help?

Edited by boopme, 08 May 2010 - 09:51 AM.
Moved from Vista to Networking~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

1. Ink cartridges are for the printer not your dell computer as for refillling them that is down to you offficial line is to replace cartridges.
2. Your job status is none of anyones business except your own and has no relevance.
3. Ok warranty agreement broken between our parents and dell. You can still update drivers and software regardless.
4. Sorry to hear about financial troubles but bear no relevance here.
5. Supply error code and name of program you are trying to install from dell.
6. Supply details of computer make,model and model no, and specfications..
7. Details of how you connect to the internet example ethernet or wireless adapter to modem or wireless router or wired router.
8. uninstall mac spoof program.
9. Update anti-virus software and run a full scan give details of anti-virus installed plus firewall.

You can download driver updates from dell regardlees of warranty status.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 TScrewy

TScrewy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

1. Ink cartridges are for the printer not your dell computer as for refillling them that is down to you offficial line is to replace cartridges.
2. Your job status is none of anyones business except your own and has no relevance.
3. Ok warranty agreement broken between our parents and dell. You can still update drivers and software regardless.
4. Sorry to hear about financial troubles but bear no relevance here.
5. Supply error code and name of program you are trying to install from dell.
6. Supply details of computer make,model and model no, and specfications..
7. Details of how you connect to the internet example ethernet or wireless adapter to modem or wireless router or wired router.
8. uninstall mac spoof program.
9. Update anti-virus software and run a full scan give details of anti-virus installed plus firewall.

You can download driver updates from dell regardlees of warranty status.

5. It says "the error code is 190"
6. I honestly don't know. How can I find out?
7. Wireless adapter to modem I think. I have Road Runner from Time Warner Cable if that helps any
8. Already did
9. My anti-virus program is McAfee. As for my firewall... it's just the standard Windows Firewall.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

5. Not heard of this code
6. Look on front of computer may say dell inspiron 6000 but there will be a a small gray plaque with your model and model no on it a long with a service tag no.
7. Is it a wired connection what i mean is, is there a cable going from computer to modem or router?
If it is wireless you will use wireless adapter to communicate with router please confirm if this is how you are connecting and give make and model, model no of router it will be on the router on a small gray plaque and router model will be on front or top for example Dlink dsl2740b.
9. run a full scan with mcfee.

You should have a driver and ultilities disk supplied with your computer you can re-install wlan driver from there. You would need to uninstall wlan driver first. Go to start>control panel>device manager>network adapters look for name of wireless adapter for example broadcom wireless adapter the name for yours may be different open it up see if driver is working properly is displayed or any other message please post back results.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 TScrewy

TScrewy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

5. Not heard of this code
6. Look on front of computer may say dell inspiron 6000 but there will be a a small gray plaque with your model and model no on it a long with a service tag no.
7. Is it a wired connection what i mean is, is there a cable going from computer to modem or router?
If it is wireless you will use wireless adapter to communicate with router please confirm if this is how you are connecting and give make and model, model no of router it will be on the router on a small gray plaque and router model will be on front or top for example Dlink dsl2740b.
9. run a full scan with mcfee.

You should have a driver and ultilities disk supplied with your computer you can re-install wlan driver from there. You would need to uninstall wlan driver first. Go to start>control panel>device manager>network adapters look for name of wireless adapter for example broadcom wireless adapter the name for yours may be different open it up see if driver is working properly is displayed or any other message please post back results.

5. I got it after trying to download and install this: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...heckFormat=true

6. The only sticker I see is on the tower which says "Intel Pentium Dual-Core inside"

7. Not this computer. The modem is on my second Dell computer downstairs in my dining room which is connected to the computer with wires and cables. The only thing I could find is something on the side of the router that says "Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v7-VC"

9. I already did a couple of days ago and this problem has been going on for awhile now. It found nothing.

I already tried that and the problem still occurred.

Also...

This is NOT something I want to HAVE to do... but what about "Dell Factory Image Restore?"

Apparently this is ONLY on Dell computers and according to one of the books that came with the computer "Dell Factory Image Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any programs or drivers installed after you received your computer." Also it says "Use Dell Factory Image Restore only as the last method to restore your operating system. These options restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer, including data files, are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on."

Trust me... I DO NOT want to do this since there's A LOT of stuff on the computer I CAN NOT create copies of because I don't have any USB drive's or SD Card's with enough memory. But... I may not have a choice.

Should I do this or should I try other options first?

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

5. That link to the inspiron 518 and service tag no is your other dell in the dining room? if your model is a different model then you are trying to install an incorrect driver that may account for error code 190.

6. The sticker is usually on top of the tower at the rear with model and model no and service tag no and there will be a sticker for the windows vista operating system if that is the original os or it may have sticker for windows xp if that was the original os. If these are missing which they should not be if bought from a retail vendor or online vendor you need to contact them as you may have been sold a stolen machine.

7. Check your system documentation it should give you what model and model no is need to find this information so you are able to download the correct driver.
Try start>programs>accessories>system tools>system information.

In device manager under network adapters your wireless adapter name should appear here.

As for restoring the dell to factory default settings you can do this but i cannot tell you that you should do this as this is a matter for you whether you are willing to lose all your saved documents, data and music and videos etc.

#7 TScrewy

TScrewy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

5. That link to the inspiron 518 and service tag no is your other dell in the dining room? if your model is a different model then you are trying to install an incorrect driver that may account for error code 190.

6. The sticker is usually on top of the tower at the rear with model and model no and service tag no and there will be a sticker for the windows vista operating system if that is the original os or it may have sticker for windows xp if that was the original os. If these are missing which they should not be if bought from a retail vendor or online vendor you need to contact them as you may have been sold a stolen machine.

7. Check your system documentation it should give you what model and model no is need to find this information so you are able to download the correct driver.
Try start>programs>accessories>system tools>system information.

In device manager under network adapters your wireless adapter name should appear here.

As for restoring the dell to factory default settings you can do this but i cannot tell you that you should do this as this is a matter for you whether you are willing to lose all your saved documents, data and music and videos etc.

5. No... it's a link to what I tried to download. I got the error code on the computer that I am having problems with, which is a second computer upstairs in a designated room for the computer.

6. There's several stuff that could be it. There's two bar codes on the sticker. Under the first bar code it says "0YK196" then, above the second bar code it says "00146-532-309-588" there's also another code on the lower right hand of the sticker that says "X13-04657" are any of these codes what you are looking for?

7. "Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card"
"Ethernet 802.3"

^^^That it?

I'm will to restore the Dell to factory settings if there is no other choice and everything else has been tried.

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

Did you unzip and extract the contents of of file before trying to install it?

#9 TScrewy

TScrewy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Did you unzip and extract the contents of of file before trying to install it?

Um... when I saved it... it wasn't saved as a .zip or .rar. It was saved as a .exe.

So no. I didn't.

Edited by TScrewy, 10 May 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

Early in the morning yes it was self extracting my apologies was still half asleep.

Ensure windows is fully up to date using windows update then create a system rovery point using system restore call it dell wlan.

Uninstall current driver for wlan card using programs and features find the name will be Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card of card and install the one you downloaded if this does not work use system restore and choose dell wlan restore point to restore pc to before you uninstalled the wlan card.

By the way those numbers weren't the service tag no. try this link below and where it says desktop with + sign open it it will give you info on how to find your service tag no.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

That driver you downloaded is more than likely the correct driver but without service tag no cannot confirm it is.

Edited by Darth sidious, 10 May 2010 - 11:49 PM.

#11 TScrewy

TScrewy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

Early in the morning yes it was self extracting my apologies was still half asleep.

Ensure windows is fully up to date using windows update then create a system rovery point using system restore call it dell wlan.

Uninstall current driver for wlan card using programs and features find the name will be Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card of card and install the one you downloaded if this does not work use system restore and choose dell wlan restore point to restore pc to before you uninstalled the wlan card.

By the way those numbers weren't the service tag no. try this link below and where it says desktop with + sign open it it will give you info on how to find your service tag no.

That driver you downloaded is more than likely the correct driver but without service tag no cannot confirm it is.

I don't see a link...

:thumbsup:

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:24 AM

opps.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 12 May 2010 - 04:25 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#13 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hi TScrewy apologies i edited my last post and put the link in :thumbsup:

#14 TScrewy

TScrewy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hi TScrewy apologies i edited my last post and put the link in :thumbsup:

Found it. Here it is.

Service Tag: DVV7DH1
Service Code: 30225033973

#15 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hmmm same service tag no as before.

When you looked in network adapters for your dell wireless 1505 draft 802.11n wlan mini card it did display the device is working properly and not disabled or some other error message?

That is the original card that should have shipped with your inspriron.

You could open up your desktop when disconnected from electricity supply and look for a pci-e slot not the x16 which is for graphics cards probably pci-ex1 smallest slot will be near the pci slots they should be marked on motherboard and have a look whether a dell wireless card is in there will be on the card somewhere or whether it is an asus wireless lan pci card which goes in one of pci slots be careful not to touch components do not remove use a touch to illuminate where you are looking.

Once card is confirmed follow these instructions posted previously( if it is asus wireless lan pci card then download and install those drivers instead of dell).

Edited by Darth sidious, 13 May 2010 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users